Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Making Sense of the Whirlwind

Sometimes there is so much going on in my life and in our world that I cannot possibly keep up with the blog and I don't really have much time to even process all that is going on.  And so every now and then I feel the need to do a bit of an inventory post.  Maybe not even for the sake of my readers and more so that I can see, in print, what all is going on so that maybe, just maybe, I might be able to think straight again.  Maybe.

Currently insanity includes, in no particular order:

1.  Homeschooling:  At the moment, homeschool is going really well and I actually like not unschooling.  Believe it or not, overall, it helps me to feel less stressed out.  Maybe because now that we are "covering" material I don't feel like I need to be as creative about finding ways to use what they are interested in.  So in many ways I feel let off the hook.  And maybe that's a good thing.  Maybe unschooling is sometimes too much and too hard, especially when you have a lot of other things going on and there's not much time left over at the end of the day to just be.  There is some solace for both me and the children in knowing that the school day has come to an end and we can spend the rest of the day relaxing and playing.

2.  Foster Parenting:  We have decided to become a foster family.  Last week was our home visit, which rocked.  It went very very well.  Our training was supposed to begin tomorrow but we decided to push pause on the plan to move forward.  We're still enthusiastic but after discussing matters, we realized that it might simply be too much to try and squeeze that in right now.  When we go through the application process and the training, we want to be able to truly focus on it.  So we've asked our contact person to let us know the next time the training comes around. 

3.  Improv Troupe:  A few months ago I wandered out to The Art Barn, which is in a rural area 12 minutes from my house (nothing is ever 12 minutes from our house).  While the kids were taking a homeschool art class, I chatted with the owner.  We talked chocolate (and they now have our product in stock) and we talked comedy.  The owner of the Art Barn used to be a professional stand up comic.  What's interesting is that I met her right after I discovered via "The Artist's Way" that improv and comedy were the two things I most wanted to do.  Sure I would like to do theater, and write some more plays, and finally get that book written, but beyond any of that, I most would like to make people laugh.  And the two ways in which I wanted to do it were by learning to do stand up and by performing in an improv troupe.  As luck would have it, she was interested in starting an improv troupe to perform right there at the Art Barn.  And as of last weekend, we are official.  The Boro Barn Razors:  Improv With an Edge.  Come out and see us when you get a chance :)

4.  Ridiculous Chocolate:  So much is happening with our chocolate.  We are moving into new retail locations, we have our labels in place, our new and improved website is about to be launched.  It's so exciting.  I'm about to kick my involvement up a notch or two.  Soon my intention is to make Wednesday afternoons my chocolate day.  It's exciting to me to finally be able to take some ownership in the business beyond "I came up with the name" because I am very proud of the products we offer and I am proud to be involved.

5.  Green Halloween:  Looks like I'll be helping to bring an eco-friendly, health conscious Halloween celebration to Murfreesboro this year and I simply cannot wait. 

6.  Earning some cash:  I've been looking for new interesting ways to make some money.  The first opportunity that has been handed to me is that I get to babysit a sweet baby girl twice a week.  It's the perfect thing for us right now.  We make extra cash, she has a comfortable place to hang out, it's all winning.  I'll keep you posted as we end up being offered new and other exciting ways to earn a little extra money. 

7.  Homeschool Theater Club:  In the winter I'll be offering a homeschool theater club/class in the area.  So right now I'm outlining my lesson plans and figuring out exactly what the class will look like.  I'm super excited about this opportunity as well.  The theater makes me very happy and I can't wait to share the acting bug (or writing bug or directing bug) with some local homeschool kids.  I remember how much the theater changed my life. 




Like A bona fide life on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!