Friday, June 22, 2012

From unschoolers to ecclectic relaxed homeschoolers: Better than the alternative

Recently it has been brought to my attention that my husband is not pleased with radical unschooling.  His first solution was for me to get a full time job and for us to send the kids to school.  Needless to say, this was devastating to me.  But with great guidance and prayers from many, we have reached an agreement. 

The agreement means that there are going to be changes around here.  And my new mantra is "It's better than the alternative".

We had a meeting this week and discussed everything kid related.  The changes will be as follows:

-There will be strict bed times.  If Hunter is doing a show, unless it's production time, he will need to be at home and in bed by 9:00pm.  (This makes good sense to me as we have recently seen just what a disaster it can be to his mental and emotional health when he stays up late several nights in a row.)

-Their Own Beds. The children will at least start out in their own beds on the nights when their dad is home from work. (This makes good sense to me also.  After all, we don't see each other very often and we've been through a lot the past few years.  Spending time together, alone, in our bed is an important way for us to reconnect which is ultimately in the best interest of the children.)

-We will be adding a curriculum.  After much discussion, we have compromised and decided upon "Time 4 Learning" for both older children.  Beyond that, everything else can be unschooled as long as they are keeping up with their online lessons.  This "curriculum" is best for Hunter because it doesn't require handwriting which is next to impossible for him (he is on a waiting list for affordable occupational therapy here in our community).  Also, if I'm not having to plan out this curriculum it gives me plenty of time to continue doing the things we like to do... such as taking them to playdates, on field trips, being involved with the theater, and I will be able to continue facilitating them in learning through the methods we were already enjoying.  Of course, it also leaves me time and energy to work on my own personal goals such as improving my marriage, exercising, blogging, writing articles for various websites, pursuing La Leche League leadership, investigating the creation of a safe home for the gay youth in our community, starting an improv troupe, and making a film about leukemia.  Phew.

-Focusing on other subjects.  We will be buying a Spanish curriculum because everyone wants to learn Spanish.  We will also be signing the kids up for classes like guitar, science, swim, and dance lessons.

-Scheduled learning time.  The older two children will be expected to do their "school" work daily which includes practicing handwriting, Bible reading, their "Time 4 Learning" lessons. 

-Earning an income.  I have rallied to have my "job" be taking over large chunks of our family business.  Today I started training for working at the Farmer's Market.  I love the idea of being more involved with Ridiculous Chocolate.  At least I'll be working for myself, heading toward a goal for our family instead of working to earn money for some other company or person.  I also appreciate that I can keep my children with me while I'm working.

Please pray for us as we make these changes and as I fight to keep my children at home with me.



Like A bona fide life on Facebook

12 comments:

  1. I will be praying for you and your family. I hope it all works out. I'd hate to have to put my girls into school.

    God bless you all x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's truly one of my worst nightmares. Thanks Lisa.

      Delete
  2. I will keep you in my prayers!You are an amazing mother & I know that your children will continue to grow to be amazing people. I believe you have & will teach your children more than they could ever learn in a classroom! Keep that beautiful smile on your face & that grace that God has given you & you will be just fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nelle. I hope you are right!

      Delete
  3. Praying for you and your family. May God gracefully guide you through the changes. Love and light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will also be praying for you!

    My DH is also not too keen on RU (even though we haven't jumped into it yet, LOL) sooooo, we are more relaxed/eclectic in our approach.

    My boys are a little older then your children (12 and 10) but we are going to sit down and make some goals with them about what they want to learn and how we will accomplish that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that too... asked the kids what they want to learn. But we've always done that :)

      Delete
  5. I was thinking about this and I want to say that its a testimony to your relationship that your DH was able to talk to you about this. That is a blessing! Wishing you blessings on your new and continued journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wish it was true but I thank you anyway :)

      Delete
    2. I'll be praying for you on this journey! Maybe we can encourage each other :)

      Delete
  6. My husband has had this kind of freakout, but we got past it without messing with the kids' lives. My husband's doubts got the best of him because he doesn't know the kids as well as I do. He felt a loss of control and felt like he had to do something to prove that he was actively looking out for them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!