Sunday, April 22, 2012

Seven Snippets from Unschooling

Trying the new link up over at Winging It.  
Join us?

1. 
Ronin has been very focused on getting some high heel shoes.  
So focused, in fact, that she took the initiative to ask her grand parents to take her on a shopping trip to get a pair.  They came back from their trip with wedges and a new outfit, but the high heels were either too high or not the right size.  So they ordered these ones.
And she looks gorgeous in them... and WAY too grown up.
She is very pleased with her new shoes.



2.
Grandpa came by this week and spent some time being completely worn out by the three attack zombies.  Before he left, he did some guessing games with the kids and they walked away a bit richer after the game was over.

 3.
Hunter, Ronin and I drove to Nashville to have lunch with one of my favorite online unschooling homebirthing placenta eating lovey mama friends.  Meeting her in real life was wonderful an d we enjoyed her so very much.  Can't wait to see some of my other online friends in real life later in the year :)

 4.
Drayken is done with diapers and as of yesterday, he's done with his potty chair too. 
To celebrate this huge accomplishment, we took the kids to Chuck E. Cheese where they used tokens that were gifted to them to play the many games.  They used their tickets to pay for candy.


 5.
All three kids got to ride horses at the home of our fellow unschooling friends who live around the corner from us.  They all seemed to enjoy it and they seem to want to try it again soon.


 6.
We've been spending a lot of time with our new "group" recently.
Hunter hosted one of the boys for a sleep over and last week we had most of the group over for a Sunday afternoon pot luck.  This Friday we drove way out into the middle of nowhere to visit with one of the families...  Ronin's new bff and Hunter's "bro".  It's been so refreshing to see how this group reacts differently to "bad behavior" (we are all learning vs. everyone who acts up should be blacklisted) and I'm starting to feel more confident that I won't be kicked out of the group any time soon.  I've enjoyed getting to know them all better and I really like everyone I've gotten to know through the group!
 

 7.

Ronin made this video this past week.  She's been teaching herself the lyrics to this song by reading them online and listening to the song on repeat.  Once she had learned it, she looked up an instrumental version of the song online, played it on the iPod while taping herself with the iPad.  She did it completely without any assistance.  She's really proud of it.




Like A bona fide life on Facebook

7 comments:

  1. Love when the kids get to "own" their own accomplishments completely - kudos to Ronin! And DANG I wish I had some unschooling friends with horses around the corner ... LUCKY YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Ronin is so cute in that video! I love it when she gets really into and starts dancing and whipping her hair. She has a great voice too!

    I laughed when you described your friend as placenta-eatin' -- we had home births too and our doula told us about this with our first, we saved the placenta (it was HUGE) in the freezer. A year later, we threw it away not knowing what the heck to do with it and were a little squeamish at that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I recently did a storytelling comedy show where I read a story about my placentas. I'm going to video tape it soon and post it here... you will have to keep your eyes open for it!

      Delete
    2. Cannot wait to see it! I wish I lived closer to meet you in person! Remember to if you ever are in San Antonio Texas you will have to let me know!

      Delete
  3. I wish I had ANY unschooling friends nearby, but horses would be a huge bonus! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the video of Ronin! You are raising some amazing children! I am so happy for you that you found a group that do not have expectations people can not live up to! God bless you and your family! I enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!