Sunday, February 19, 2012

Unschooling through the Simpsons: Post 1


I finally got around to doing something that I've been wanting to do for a while. Inspired by these thoughts, this website, and this one, I decided that I might as well take advantage of "The Simpsons" obsession in my home and start helping the kids understand the show a little better... by presenting them with information that will allow them to understand more of the references, parodies and topics in the episodes.

Starting with Season 1, episodes 2 and 3, I created a "lesson plan" based upon research I did regarding each episode.

Here I'll share with you what I've put together for us to do this week while we're studying these episodes.

Season 1, Episode 2:
"Bart the Genius"

Albert Einstein:
Checked out following books from the library:
Odd Boy Out by Dan Brown
Starring Lorenzo and Einstein Too by Mark Karlins

Watched this Albert Einstein biography online.

Jane Goodall:
Check out the following book from the library:
Me...Jane by Patrick McDonnell

Watched this Jane Goodall video on BrainPop.

Watched Anatoly Karpov interview on YouTube.

Watched clip of French Opera "Carmen" song "Toreador" on YouTube.

Tried out "Stress Free Chess" which Hunter received for Christmas.

Watched "The Big Snit", a short animated film from the 1980s upon which one of the scenes from this episode was based according to its writer. (This short film is fabulous.)

Discussed the meaning of the word id.

Season 1, Episode 3:
"Homer's Odyssey"

Watched opening sequence of "Get Smart"

Watched a summary of "The Odyssey" on YouTube.

Read this graphic novel about John Henry from the library.

Listened to this song about John Henry.

Listened to "Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head" by They Might Be Giants.


What have the kids thought about learning through The Simpsons so far?

Ronin says it's been cool and she most enjoyed watched "The Big Snit" on YouTube.
Hunter says it's been okay and his favorite thing that he learned about was Jane Goodall.

And Happy 500th Anniversary to "The Simpsons"! Thank you for so many years of laughter... and learning.





Like A bona fide life on Facebook

2 comments:

  1. Holy Smokes I LOVE this idea and cannot wait to show my husband. What a great idea, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Let me know if you end up trying it. I'd love to know how it turned out for you!

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!