Friday, October 7, 2011

"Pippin" Opening Night

As you may recall, Hunter was cast in a local production of the show "Pippin". He is playing little Pippin and Theo. Tonight was opening night and little did I know that I would have so darned much to say about it.

First of all, just being a part of the theater again has been so much fun. Sure, I'm just the "mom" but I have enjoyed getting to know the cast and directors and managers, etc for this show. A great group of people. And they all clearly adore my son and that is flippin' awesome.

But beyond the whole theater thing lies my intense gratitude that my son seems to have found his thing. He may only act for a little while. He may continue to do it for the rest of his life. Doesn't matter. What matters is that right now. At this moment, he has discovered a talent. Something he enjoys doing. Until tonight I wasn't for sure if he was actually good at it though. I thought he was good but I'm his mother. I wear rose colored glasses when I look at my children, right? It's possible that he's not quite as adorable and funny as I think he is, yes? After tonight I now know for certain that it is NOT just me. He is truly talented. Gorgeous. Adorable. Hilarious.

I cannot count how many audience members said that he did a great job or that he made them cry or that he was the best part. He received honest, genuine, kind feedback. It was genuine praise for something he did. Attention for accomplishing a goal... not just for having cancer.

He said to me, "Mommy, do you want me to audition for another show? I'd do anything for you." My reponse: "No. Noooo noooo noooo nooo noooo. NEVER ever ever act or do anything because of me. Do it for you. If it happens to make me happy too then bonus. So, do you want to audition for you?"

"I do."
"Then we'll talk to your dad."

Do you remember how it felt when you discovered that thing that really gets you going? Music? Acting? Sewing? Writing? Birthin' babies? Did you happen to be sorta depressed right before you discovered it? Well, I was. I was pretty miserable when I found out that I was great on stage. And acting saved me. The theater saved me. It gave me a new start.

Hunter's had a hard time. He's been through a difficult journey and coming back from it has not been an easy task. But tonight I saw no evidence of that child. The one who is struggling and fighting with every fiber of his being. He didn't criticize any aspect of the process. He has nothing but nice things to say about his theater experience so far.

The theater has yet again stepped in and breathed hope into my life just when I felt like there was none. Thank you Lord for continuing to show your face in the most unexpected ways. And thank you Murfreesboro Little Theater for giving my little kid such a great opportunity!

FuNkY Playbill

His cast photo and bio in the lobby

Makeup!

With Roy. Family, Friend, Director.

Catherine, Theo, and Pippin... a happy little family.

Helping himself to snacks at the reception.

If you are local and would like to see Hunter perform in Pippin, please go here to make reservations. Be advised that this is not a family friendly show. :)





Like A bona fide life on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!