Saturday, September 10, 2011

Seeing the Warhols

This past (rainy) Sunday afternoon, my daughter and I drove to Nashville before we missed the chance of a lifetime... to see the Warhol exhibit up close and personal at the Frist Center.

Most of my readers must know that I'm a huge fan of the B-52s. I mean, it's just part of who I am. But I'm also a fan of the 70s and 80s and pop culture/new wave music from that time period in general. Talking Heads, Blondie, Cyndi Lauper, devo... I love the weirdness... the randomness... the geekiness. It's in my blood and has been since I was about 12 years old. It's like I woke up one day and realized that I should have lived in Athens, GA or New York about 15 years earlier. As I read everything I could get my hands on about these bands, my reading naturally led me to stories about Studio 54 and Andy Warhol. Like the rest of the aforementioned icons, Andy became a bit of a rock star to me. Heck, he hung out with the likes of Liza Minelli, Debbie Harry, and Mick Jagger. Wow, right?

Bottom line is that I couldn't let myself pass up the chance to see this man's work, up close and personal. Unfortunately Hunter didn't want to join us but I was thrilled to be able to share this experience with my girl. If you have an opportunity to see the Warhols in person, go. Do it. See them. As a matter of fact, see any and all art that you can see in person. It truly is life changing to start thinking of yourself as the type of person who frequents art museums... as that was something my parents never did and they pretty much taught me that only snooty wives of doctors do that sort of "thing". Well, guess what? They are wrong. Art. Is. For. Everyone.


After we basked in the glow of the Warhols, we went upstairs to ArtQuest where Ro got her art on for a while. :) The, despite my having brought us a snack, I had to then take her to the cafe because, as she says, she is "running a growth spurt.





Like A bona fide life on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!