Sunday, July 24, 2011

There's a place for everyone, isn't there?

Lately I've been struggling with my self-image and self-worth... based strictly upon other's impressions of me. I'm working on forming a proper self-image with a little help from a book called Classic Christianity... a self-image that is simply all about how God sees me and not how other flawed humans see me. But this isn't always easy. Especially when you are a little... well... different like I am. So, it's always validating to me when people I really really really like also like me back.

I had the honor to be featured on a long list of many stops during the tail end of the McGrail family's 3 week long trip. I was so excited that they were coming but slightly feared that I'd be weird and awkward and freak them out. But, as far as I could tell, it went really well and there was none of that "meeting you for the first time" weirdness. It was just like seeing a good friend that I'd known for years (which really helped drive home the notion that yes, maybe you CAN get to know know someone online).

Regardless of how they felt about me, I fell in love with each of them. Even all four of their precious children. They were just so... well... nice. Not just "well behaved" but... well... more like well adjusted. They were just easy to be around... which is a lot for me to say because, frankly, I don't always love kids. Except for my own. (And even then not always.) But the McGrail children absolutely validated the idea that kids don't need punishment or rigid rules in order to behave appropriately and "turn out okay". I loved seeing her interact with her children... she's as amazing in real life as she seems to be on her blog :)



Further, I have to marvel at the miracle that was the way in which Hunter connected with the boys. By the time that their all too short three hour visit came to an end, Hunter was on our bean bag chair having a tickle fight with them. There was a lot of laughter and general sense of comfort for him. Hunter is a slow to warm up child and generally has to know someone well and for a long time in order to feel that comfortable with them... and that's IF he becomes comfortable. So you can imagine my pleasant surprise by how quickly he felt at ease with these kids. It gave me such joy to witness his bonding with them... and hope in knowing that he can connect with the right people.

Now jump over to Jen's blog and look at the pictures she took of our visit... and from the rest
of their amazing trip!
Like A bona fide life on Facebook

2 comments:

  1. Oh Mandy. You made my eyes leaky. Thank you so much for all the kind words. I don't even know what to say except that I really hope that you know that I feel the same way about you and yours!! I felt so good and almost... giddy.. after our visit, and I am so glad to know that you saw it the same way. You are a beautiful person, inside and out, and I am proud and honored to be able to call you a friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!