Friday, May 6, 2011

What Was YOUR Dream, Mommy?

Yesterday when we were driving home, Hunter was chatting about the money he has in the bank for his future. (He's the only kid in the family with any savings... a bit of silver lining for having had leukemia, I guess.) He was saying that he didn't know what he'd like to do with that money. The conversation went something like this.

Me: Do you think you might like to attend college?
Hunter: No, I don't think so.
Me: Do you think you might like to travel? Go different places?
Hunter: Yeah, I think so.
Me: Have you ever heard of missionaries?
Hunter: People who go on missions?
Me: Yes, they travel to other places to tell people about Jesus.
Hunter: Hmmm, that's kinda cool. What was YOUR dream, Mommy?

Whoa. Immediately I started an answer that involved explaining what I'd planned to do for a career when I chose my major (I have a Bachelors in Psychology and had intended to continue my education until I received my doctorate in, most likely, cognitive, my strong suit.) But then I stopped. I realized that those were just my "schoolish/academic dreams", merely one facet of my aspirations for my future. But for some reason they were the absolute only ones upon which I placed any value whatsoever.

I had other dreams though. As I sat there, driving, lost in thought, I realized just how many dreams that I did have. Dreams that had nothing to do with school. Like...

-get married (to Michael preferably)
-have multiple kids
-one of whom was a boy who looked like a little guy in my preschool class
-be a writer and have people read my writing
-have friends
-become a Christian and truly believe
-be an artist and involved with the arts community
-parent my children in a unique manner
-homeschool my kids
-be satisfied with the way my body looks (not let myself be fat)
-shop in health food stores and know what the heck I was looking at
-learn about healthy foods and eat and cook well
-obtain authentic beauty
-stop being a total nut job
-wear long skirts and long hair and never worry that I am too old to wear that look
-read good books

I have achieved all of these dreams. Simply by being authentic. So what if I didn't go on and achieve "Doctor" status (a popular achievement among my high school friends)? I did go on to achieve many of my dreams. I sure hope that my children never get their self-worth all caught up in academics. Sure, achieving academic goals is wonderful and a great way to invest your time. But it's not the only way to become an important and productive member of society. I'm glad that I finally see that now, at 33.

Thanks for asking, Hunter.