Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Why We Watch... The Simpsons (Part 1)

So, here's the deal. We love television. Like a lot. We aren't afraid to admit it. What I find is that a lot of people are anti television, particularly in the homeschooling community. Those people seem to be particularly against unlimited television viewing and against viewing anything that is not especially "educational". Well, I'm here to take a stand. A pro-television stand. On Wednesdays I'll be writing about why we watch the shows that we watch. They won't always be the most "kid-friendly" or "educational" programs but they will be shows that have a big pay off for us... because they keep us coming back for more. If you disagree with me, that's fine. Feel free to comment. I don't mind respectful discussions. But if you happen to like tv and would like to add your ten cents, I'd appreciate it. I often feel very alone when it comes to this parenting decision that I've made and I like it when other people come out of the proverbial television watching closet. Now, without further ado, I give you... "Why We Watch... The Simpsons (Part 1).

For the first part of "Why We Watch... The Simpsons", I have interviewed Hunter. "The Simpsons" is his favorite television show and, yes, at 7, he is allowed to watch any and all episodes.

Why do you like to watch "The Simpsons"?
Because it's funny.

What is so funny about it?
The actors are funny.

What is your favorite character?
Maggie, Homer, and Bart

What is the best thing about Maggie?
She's cute.

What's is the funniest thing that Homer has ever done?
In one episode he fell down stairs and that was funny.

If you could hang out with Bart Simpson, what would you want to do with him?
Prank call Moe's Tavern. I'd ask for Marge Bouvier. (Marge's maiden name)

What is your favorite episode of "The Simpsons"?
"Lisa's First Word". I like it because it's cute.

Next week I will write about some of the interests that have grown out of Hunter's love for "The Simpsons" and I'll take one random episode (Hunter always has one or two per week to share with me) and I'll outline all of the learning opportunities within the episode. If I have time, I might also outline one of "The Simpsons" comics that we've been reading. A comic we read last week led to learning more about Harry Houdini.

In the meantime, you might find this article, "The Simpsons for Unschoolers" to be interesting.

4 comments:

  1. I will admit I love television. I love to laugh and I love to cry. I like being held in suspense and I like escaping the stress of life sometimes with a good round of TV. I prefer reading to TV and I do not like the TV on during the day - AT ALL. I will also admit, that I would be OK if we shut the cable off and never had TV again - but my family might rebel.

    We have watched The Simpsons and my favorite is Homer- DOH! I especially love how Bart is like 24 years old, but doesn't look a day over 7.

    My kids aren't allowed to watch anything they want, but they mostly choose things I approve of anyway. Except my 19 yo who is learning to watch what he puts on with his little brothers in the room.

    Geez, my reply could have been a blog post! Sorry! I look forward to more of your "Why We Watch" posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We like television too. At the end of the day, we love to all sit together and laugh - television is great for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, thank you for your comment. Actually, Bart is not 24 (though, in real time he should be right at 30 now). He is 10 and in the 4th grade. The characters are frozen in time. They are the exact same age as they were when they first appeared on "The Tracey Ullman Show" back in the late 1980s.
    I, too, prefer the television to be off during the day but thinking back, the stimulation didn't bother me as a child. So both of our kids have access to television their their own rooms if they want to watch when I don't want it on.

    Christy, yes we love to laugh together :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bona Fida Mama

    I have recently found your blog and have loved reading all about you and your beautiful family!

    I just wanted to agree with the TV and home schooling comment, my eldest son Bailey was talking to his physio about how he sits in front of the TV and she stopped and asked me if I had a TV! I said 'Of course we do!' and she replied 'well lots of Home educators don't'. My children love tv and I think its a very good resource too, they have a bit of an icarly obsession, which is not my cup of tea but everybody deserves 'down time. I know hubby and me love to watch our tv programmes to relax at the end of the day! We also love watching films together as a family on a weekend.

    Zoe X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!