Saturday, April 23, 2011

What We've Been Reading Post 5



Ronin and I are reading the American Girls "Julie" series together.
The book on the left is the second book in her series.
We really like how the series is set in the 1970s and correlates nicely with what we are seeing on "The Wonder Years".
Hunter and I are on "House at Pooh Corner" by A.A. Milne.
I was thrilled when he asked to read more Pooh after we finished up "Ramona the Brave" and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" because Pooh is a personal favorite of mine and I didn't think he really liked the first book. Guess I was wrong!
We are also reading "Big Beastly Book of Bart Simpson" which is a collection of "The Simpsons" comics with Bart as the star. These comics are much less "mature" themed and I find them to be quite appropriate for a 7 year old boy. If your kid likes "The Simpsons" but the show is a bit much for you, you might consider one of the Bart collections. There are several of them.

And as I mentioned before, we just finished these two little gems.

This is what I've been reading. I made a contract with myself to average a book per month this year and so far I'm following through. If I'm reading three books at a time then that means I get three months to finish them. I think I'll make it. These books are all very different so it makes it easier for me to read them all at once (which is sometimes difficult for me to do).

Ronin and I read these two books together.
She decided that she likes Wendy but that Snow White is a moron.

We are not crazy about the Burgess book... making way through it though.
And this bird book is awesome. Hunter is VERY interested in birds and that is super cool.

I'd love some new suggestions for bird resources... movies, books, online.
It is an interest that the two of us certainly share.

4 comments:

  1. Nice blog - I like how your kids are connecting with nature. Tis so very important. Good job momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't resist. That Backyard Bird book looks great. NPL doesn't have it, so I checked Amazon and found a new copy for $6.98 shipped. :) Can't wait to get it.

    We've been watching The Life of Birds on Netflix instant.

    We really like our local field guide for identifying birds we see: Compact Guide to TN Birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi-

    I have found some great resources/activities at Cornell University's Lab of Ornithology. They have a whole program for kids! Googled- Cornell Univ. Birds Kids. Good luck! Blessings--Heather in NH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost Unschoolers blog has variety of resources on ornithology - check it out here - http://almostunschoolers.blogspot.com/. The last book looks really interesting, since we have so many birds in our backyard in summer months. Thanks for joining WMCIR!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!