Friday, April 8, 2011

What We've Been Reading Post 4


This week we've not read as much as usual because the boys in our family have taken a trip to Florida for my husband's grandmother's memorial service. We encouraged Ronin to stay at home with me because we felt that Hunter really needed a break from her while he finished up his steroids. Of course, she and I aren't doing too much reading... but we have done plenty of shopping and cooking!

Of the books that we did get around to reading from the library this week, here are our favorites.

Peter Period and Emma Exclamation Point are both from a series called "Meet the Puncs". Quite frankly, I personally didn't enjoy reading them but Hunter liked them. He said that they were weird (yes, I agree) and that he likes weird (I usually agree). Then he asked me why I didn't get the rest of the books in the series. I said I just didn't but that I could. He asked me to please do that. So, that's a decent sign that I made a good choice. Fabulous way to introduce or drive home punctuation. Hunter is 7 and we've never talked about punctuation at length before. After reading about the exclamation point he started to recognize how many there were in his Simpson's comics. I'm excited to try the rest of the series.

Duck! Rabbit! by Amy Krouse Rosenthal made me super happy as it utilized an old school optical illusion for which any psych geek like myself has great affection. I thought it was a fun way to introduce the concept of optical illusions to the children. It made us laugh. Winning!


Henry Builds a Cabin and Henry Climbs a Mountain by D.B. Johnson
are both lovely picture books based upon real situations described in Walden by Henry David Thoreau. I have to be honest, I didn't know a lot of details about Thoreau before reading these books. But both stories have a page in the back that gives some background information and even provides the excerpt from Walden upon which each story was based. I left these books feeling like I knew a great deal more about Thoreau and wanting to learn more and more. I believe that now I will be looking for a children's version of Walden to read to Hunter. These books are fabulous and I cannot recommend them enough.

3 comments:

  1. Terrific books! I think I'll look for the punctuation ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for joining WMCIR with these terrific picks. My 4 year old just asked me yesterday what is an adjective, so maybe I will look for the books that introduce punctuation as well. And the last two books look very interesting too. I am sorry about your family loss, but hopefully the boys will enjoy a road trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for your family loss.

    Thank you for visiting my blog, and the book recommendations. I think I would love duck rabbit too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!