Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Toddler Tuesday: Our play garden

Rarely am I so inspired by a blog post that I must immediately set about tackling a project described in said blog post. A few weeks ago, however, I read about a fantastic idea that really blew me away and I have posted about it a few time. Thank you to the The Imagination Tree for your fantastic idea and your lovely post that clearly illustrated how to make a play garden.

We made our own play garden and here is the finished product.

Hunter is putting the finishing touch into the soil.

It was a mosaic tile that I found at Dollar Tree.

This is a bird bath that I moved from another part of the yard.
I bought it years ago for about a dollar as well.

I have MANY of these metal pans from the grab and take meals at Whole Foods.
I thought that it might make a nice addition to the garden.

Drayken finally sat down to give it a try.

I also found a pack of three tiny flower pots at Dollar Tree.

At Lowe's, Hunter helped me pick out these neat flowers.
They are called celosia.
They were the only plants that we bought that I cannot remember growing with my mom and dad as a kid.
A final big picture shot.
Also included is Ronin's bird bath that she painted a couple of weeks ago.

I love this shot of my fresh mowed lawn and all of the "yard play areas".
It made me think that it looks like we run a preschool at our house.
In ways I suppose we do.

Drayken received a few more accessories for the garden in his Easter basket.
After the way that he's taken an interest in my huge watering can, I'm thinking that the small one Hunter and I picked up for him is going to be a huge hit.
Unfortunately the only thing he wants to do with his garden is dump water on the the dirt. He will not sit down and dig in it. And he's not even noticed most of the "stuff" in the area. But there is plenty of time for him to catch on. Regardless, it's super cute and I like looking at it.

Do your children have special play areas in your yard?
Do those areas seem to entice them to engage in outdoor play?

6 comments:

  1. We have two raised veggie beds in our back yard. I've only planted in one so far, and all my babies and the two neighbor babies love to dig there and play in the dirt. I will be leaving it empty until they tire of it. I was inspired from your idea! The boys found a dead bee in the garden and had a funeral in the backyard. Here's Tyler's blog post: http://tylerandrews.com/blog/2011/04/boys/

    ReplyDelete
  2. you've created a wonderful environment for backyard exploration!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I am now completely overwhelmed...But anything gardening related does that to me. ;)

    Melyssa from www.thedazeofus.blogspot.com

    P.S.
    You had me at self proclaimed weirdo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drayken's toddler garden is SO sweet, Mandy. :) And YOU are most definitely DESERVING OF LOVE!!!!! ((((HUGS))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so gorgeous! Thanks for linking back to me and i'm so pleased that you were inspired. I think it's great that he wants to play with water in his garden space- playing there is what it's all about and as he gets older he will interact with it in different ways. If my little one had her own way, she would pour water from sunrise to sunset, every day of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many wonderful ideas on your blog - I LOVE this plat garden. I so wish we had the room bc my girls ahve a real interest in gardening but we don't have land for it :( WE have done a few windowboxes instead - not as fun but we are having a great time watching the progress & caring for it!

    please take a moment to link up on my new Kids Craft & Educational type linky party - The Sunday Showcase which just started today!

    Here is the direct link to link-up: http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/2011/05/sunday-showcase-51511.html

    The more wonderful ideas we share - the more inspiration we all have! :) I hope you can come link-up and "showcase" your amazing work!

    Bernadette - Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
    http://moto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!