Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Make a Wish Process So Far

Shortly after Hunter was diagnosed I received some emails from people suggesting that I refer Hunter to the Make a Wish Foundation. I, not unlike many other people, thought that my referring him meant that I was admitting that he would soon die. I was not ready to accept that fate and so I refused to even look at the website. Guess I was under the impression that only children with a terminal illness could qualify for a wish. But this is not the case at all. After Hunter's transplant, he was doing so well. I decided to look at the website. I saw that most of the participants were actually still living. So I started reading about qualifying for a wish. Turned out the wish recipients needed to be diagnosed with a life threatening illness but they certainly did not have to be dying in order to participate.

I printed the application and filled it out. There was a section on it for Hunter's doctors. I gave the forms to them and they faxed them over to the local Make a Wish chapter. A couple of weeks later I received a phone call from the Nashville Make a Wish confirming that Hunter had been determined qualified to receive a wish. We spoke for a while (turns out that she even follows Hunter's page on facebook) and she told me that I'd hear from his wish granter within a few weeks.

Last week I received a call from Michelle, Hunter's wish granter. We set up a time for her to come and visit with Hunter. She came this past week and Hunter seemed to enjoy his visit with her. She asked him a lot of questions and he proclaimed that his ultimate wish was to visit Pixar Studios in California. If they are able to grant that wish, we will have an entire itinerary that includes something fun for us to do every day that we are there. This could include a trip to Legoland, and will most likely include a trip to the set of "The Office".


Right now we start planning for the trip. They start making phone calls and seeing how they can make his wish happen. I start researching other things that we might like to do while we are in the LA or San Franciso area (like I've already discovered that we could possibly attend a taping of "The Wizards of Waverly Place" or "iCarly" because they are filmed in Hollywood). We have no idea when Hunter would be able to take this trip but it will most likely be next year. But that's okay... gives us something to look forward to.

We'd love your ideas of cool things to do while we are in California.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for Make a Wish & Yay for you for allowing yourself the opportunity! Can't wait for the updates!

    Found your link on Nashville Women who blog's facebook page. I'm a Middle TN transplant & love it when I find bloggers from my same area!

    Come by Lucy's when you get a chance. I'm not well written but have some great giveaways!

    http://closertolucy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!