Monday, October 25, 2010

Green Halloween®: Sneaking some Healthy Treats

At least someone likes my cookin' around here! This first sneaky treat is an adaptation of this recipe. Trader Joe's has a high fiber "O" organic cereal. My family didn't care for it and before I threw it out for the birds, I wanted to come up with a creative way to convince the family to eat it. In this recipe I substituted the brown sugar and corn syrup with a blend of honey, maple syrup, and agave. It never really hardened into "bars" but clearly this did not keep Drayken (or me) out of the yummy gooey goodness.



Also, since Hunter isn't supposed to have raw greens, I've been making kale chips in the oven for him. Mine turn out tasting a lot like barbeque chips because I combine grapeseed oil, salt, pepper, a dash of cayenne, garlic powder and agave as the sauce to season the chips. They don't last long around here. These boys act guilty but needless to say I don't actually mind them sneaking the kale chips :).
And for some reason the big kids won't even try these fun pizzas but Drayken is crazy about them. Ezekiel tortiallas, Pineapple salsa from Trader Joes (I haven't found another jar of salsa that I can deal with), Daiya cheese. Pop it in the oven at about 350 and don't ask me for how long because I don't pay close enough attention to actually know. But trust me, these are awesome!

Hope these recipes will help make your Halloween a little more delicious.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, kale chips. My drug of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is tough not being aloud to eat anything raw. It has taken a long time to get back to it in this house.
    I remember the first banana I was aloud to offer her...after washing both the peeling and banana first. All because of staph and other bacteria. Arghhh.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!