Friday, October 1, 2010

Five in a Row: The Story About Ping

A few friends suggested Five in a Row for me to try during this difficult time. Needless to say, we aren't following it but we are using it and enjoying it quite a bit. It's been more like three in a row for us. And we've spread the books out over two weeks. I love the curriculum though and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to continue to rely upon it to give us something fun to do whenever we are able to squeeze it in here and there. I may just continue to rely upon it over the next 1 and a half - 2 years.

We did happen to start with "The Story About Ping" because it was on the shelf at the library. I didn't particularly like this book but Ronin and Hunter both seemed to. I liked how I did two "lessons" about this book with Ronin and whenever Hunter came home I was able to do another one with him and I didn't feel like I was having to catch him up. He can just sit in on the book and activity whenever he feels like it.

Here we used a calculator to determine how many ducks were mentioned in the book.


And this is an art project from an Usborne art book that Ronin did. It's a pop up card (the beak pops up) and we made it with the corner of an old envelope. She said that this is a picture of Ping's mother and she is crying because Ping is missing. This card was made for Hunter while he was back in the hospital. It is representative of how I am his mother and I cry because he is missing from our home.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness, what a sweet, insightful girl you have.

    That book seems to be on every kindergarten list, but I wasn't crazy about it either, probably for same reasons you weren't. ;)

    But it can sure be nice to have some ready-to-go ideas for fun and togetherness when everything else feels upside down.

    I'm so glad you all got to get out for some fun today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I love that Mama duck card! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!