Saturday, February 13, 2010

Frugal dairy free milk alternatives

So, He-Man has a cavity. Yes, we went to the dentist yesterday and as usual, they ooooohed and ahhhhhhhed over how blessed I am to have such wonderful teeth (other than the orange stain from the carrot juice... which can easily be fixed with baking soda it seems). Donut checked out just fine as well (despite our neglect and excessive juice consumption) but poor He-Man has a cavity right between his two top front teeth. (Pushing the boo button on Sam's remote). Anyway, to make a sad and long story short, I have been forced to brainstorm delicious drink options that won't add to the rotting teeth in my son's mouth. I am just praying that other people will jump on board with me and help me follow through with this. I don't know why but there is a lot of juice pushed on my children. So anyway, I have been experimenting for a while with taking the unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze milk and adding some things to make it more kid-friendly... like cinnamon, vanilla, agave, and stevia. This has been working out well but certain people like to keep buying the sugary rice milk anyway.

Today I decided to try something I'd been thinking about for a while. At Trader Joe's I get these cans of coconut milk for one dollar. I opened the can and put it in a quart jar with water, cinnamon, and stevia. And then I shook it. And tasted it. It worked. It tasted better to me than a certain coconut milk alternative drink that was recently put on the market (and I won't name it because I don't like to bash brands over personal taste and also because I adore their nondairy creamer and ice creams and keifer).

I'm really excited to have some sugar and dairy free drink alternatives for the kids. They enjoy these milks mixed with a little juice, in their cereal, and by themselves.

I'd love to read about your sugar free alternatives to juice and soda.

6 comments:

  1. I know it sounds hokey, but mostly what we drink is water! When Kiddo does have juice on the rare occasion, I mix it half and half with water. The other no-sugar drink we have is herbal ice tea. There are lots of fruity flavors to choose from. I don't mix it with sugar but you could (or sugar substitute) if you want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All G drinks is water and 1 cup a day of Ocean Spray Cran-Apple (gag!) with breakfast. He won't drink any kind of milk (accept an occasional chocolate milk shake). I can't even get him to drink smoothies--even something as simple as a strawberry smoothie. I'm going to give your ideas a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the idea of making your own coconut milk drink! We do like the unnamed brand you were talking about, but I ran out. So I pulled a can of coconut milk out of the pantry and added water, stevia, and vanilla. Yum!! I did put mine in the Vita Mix though to get it super mixed up without the chunks. I think I will be doing this more often! Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the idea of making your own coconut milk drink! We do like the unnamed brand you were talking about, but I ran out. So I pulled a can of coconut milk out of the pantry and added water, stevia, and vanilla. Yum!! I did put mine in the Vita Mix though to get it super mixed up without the chunks. I think I will be doing this more often! Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Mandy! You know how much I really enjoy reading your blog. I gave you the Beautiful Blogger Award today. You can read more about it on my blog: http://amyscruggs.blogspot.com/2010/02/beautiful-blogger-award.html. I'd be honored if you accept it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that this has inspired all of you! I must add that I made coconut chocolate milk the other day and it was fabulous. I hope to post about that soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!