Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas

We have a bit of a unique situation when it comes to Christmas. I don't like being a whiny baby about this but the fact is, the Captain has to work on Christmas Eve and Christmas night and, quite frankly, I'm tired of it. Of course, I've never been thrilled about it, but for some reason, this year in particular, I was especially bummed. Maybe because our kids are older and it's our first Christmas with our complete family. Maybe it's because I know that this is the first Christmas that Hunter and Ronin will both truly remember. Maybe I'm just a big ball of emotional wreckiness. I don't know. All I know is that I've had several melt downs about Dad having to work and I hate doing that to him. It's not like he can help it!

Our unique situation has forced me to be creative about coming up with alternative ways to deal with the holiday. So, I made the decision to try and keep the kids up super late on Christmas Eve so that they would sleep in the next morning and possibly still be sleeping when their dad got home from work. I even suggested that we camp out in the living room next to the tree. It's so easy to become a kid this time of year. Well, we played Wii, we looked at some of our new gifts... Ronin made it to 11:30ish and then passed out on the sofa.

Then Hunter helped me fill the stockings. I can't tell you how many times he randomly said, "I love Christmas" throughout the evening. Dad had brought the futon mattress into the room and put it on the floor. At about 12:30 we were ready to sleep so I grabbed the baby and the three of us laid down on the futon. Hunter and I chatted for a while. We had a talk about why the gifts under the tree didn't have his name on them. He was very concerned. I told him about a tradition that my mom and I had where we would address the packages at Christmas to tv characters or celebrities instead of using our real names. I especially remember her using the names of characters from "Seinfeld" and "Designing Women". Bernice was a favorite of ours. After I explained the tradition and he understood that his packages were addressed to characters from his favorite shows, he gently reached over, stroked my face, and said, "I love you so much, Mom". And he started to cry. Wow. Shortly after that we went to sleep. Of course, we didn't sleep in and Draykie had us all up by 7:00. I prepared a large platter of food. Cinnamon rolls, cinnamon scones, sliced apples, oranges from our next door neighbors, and, not pictured, a spinach onion roasted garlic fritatta. We used our new nativity plates.



After we ate breakfast, it was stocking time. Here Hunter is estactic because he has just pulled out a small bag of Wall-E stickers that I finally found at the Dollar Tree.
Ronin is going through her stocking with her Mimi.A shot of some of the loot.With Papa.




Some more of the loot.

Enjoying blueberries, goat yogurt, and granola while taking a break from excavating for dinosaurs. And no, he didn't get the kit for Christmas... he was working on a kit from back in the summer!
Ronin enjoying some Puppy in my Pocket and My Little Pony toys.
Spongebob puzzle... the most popular type of puzzle in our home!

Here's hoping your Christmas Day was as lovely as ours.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great Christmas even though he had to work!
    Such a sweet story about Hunter...made me tear up.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like it was a lovely holiday.

    My husband and I talked about what we would do if he had to work Christmas Eve/Christmas, and we decided that we would hold Christmas either early or late. When your kids are young like ours are, and not in school to hear about the 'correct date' from others, it would be easy. Adjust your advent calendar and you're good to go! Luckily, we didn't have to do that this year ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where are the Wii action shots?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessi, Yes, it was a wonderful holiday. I'm off to read your blog to see if you posted about your Christmas!

    Sarah, we totally did that last year and we probably would have done it this year but the gifts came in the mail late. I was just very disorganized thanks to the evil flu! We did talk about how special New Years Day/Ronin's birthday would be this year because he will be home and we can plan something really awesome! So excited for next week! :)

    Sherry,
    They are coming, I promise! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!