Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My low glycemic vegan cocoa

When we cut out dairy and started trying to eat better, I tried a certain organic dairy free cocoa mix that you can purchase at certain health food stores. I don't like to bash name brands (unless they are unethical or evil) so I'm being vague here. Anyway, I wasn't impressed with this product and I figured that I had to be able to come up with a better alternative. And I was right. The best part is that mine is sugar free and low glycemic! I don't really measure anything but I'm sure that you can make it on your own just using common sense and adding ingredients to taste. Here is what I use:

Unsweetened almond milk, rice milk, oat milk, hemp milk (I guess you could use soy but I wouldn't)
Green & Black's organic cocoa powder (it's not that expensive... splurge. it's worth the extra cash.)
a dash of vanilla
a dash of sea salt
agave or stevia (brown rice syrup is on my list of safe sweeteners to try soon too)
cayenne

Omit the cayenne if you don't like spicy stuff.

I put all ingredients in a sauce pan and warm it on the stove. Sometimes I might add a peppermint stick (the all natural ones I scored last year on clearance at Whole Foods) but then it wouldn't be sugar free.

Also pictured here is one of my fall themed gluten free carrot cake muffins from a mix by Simply Organic that I picked up at Sam's Club. I probably won't buy it again (because it's not sugar free) but I will say that I was shocked by how delicious the mix turned out to be.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! Try it with coconut milk...extra creamy. Coconut milk is our new favorite thing(vanilla flavored) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you for this! I am trying to cut way back on sugar (it's so hard) and I have also cut out a lot of dairy. I'll try it with almond milk. I would love to know more about your diet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this! I never thought about using my coconut milk for hot cocoa, but not I will!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!