Sunday, October 18, 2009

Chestnuts hurt but unschooling is fun!

We've had a couple of incidents where children were running through the yard and ended up hurting, with things stuck in their feet. I told the Captain about this but he thought I was talking about one of those green patches with thorns and simply dug up a few of those. But alas, no, we had our wires crossed. So, during another rain storm (we've had a lot of those lately), some of these sticker things blew onto our porch and the kids found them there. The Captain started to investigate and he discovered that they were coming from one of our (many) trees. So he and the kiddos did some online research and found out that it was a chestnut tree. Hmph. I had no idea.
Anyway, my point is that it makes me so happy to see him getting involved with their "education" like this. I love to see dad initiate these little investigations that make unschooling so much richer than traditional schooling. A random science lesson in the middle of the afternoon. Awesome.


3 comments:

  1. That is very cool! I love learning from life too. Are you going to try to eat the nuts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun and learning...good stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!