Sunday, September 20, 2009

You ate your WHAT?

I ate my placenta. That's right. Not like some people in tribes or whatever who just eat it raw, right there as soon as it comes out. Nope, that's not for me. Though I'm sure it's a lot healthier for you that way. I'm an ex-vegetarian who grew up with dead deer in her bathtub... I'm a bit squeamish about that sort of thing. You know, meat. Blood. I don't want to know what the things inside of me look like. I have a husband who understands that if he wants to eat meat, chances are, he'll have to cook it. That was in our marriage vows. Not really. Yeah. Anyway, you get the picture. But one thing that I hate worse than eating meat is depression. Two years ago I went through the worst depression of my life. I suppose it was just grief and having had a child finally catching up with me but the truth is that I was in the middle of a psychotic breakdown when I decided to check myself into a treatment facility (which was a waste of time, btw, and I should have just taken myself to the spa for a week but that's neither here nor there). As some of you may recall, last year when I first found out that I was expecting baby number three, one of my biggest fears was my mental and emotional state. What about the risk of another breakdown? I was finally feeling "normal" again (as normal as a crazy unschooler like me can feel). I remembered having read about placenta encapsulation and I bet it was that week when I started looking for someone local to help me out with this. If you have ever experienced depression or psychosis, you know the desperation it brings. I never wanted to put myself or my family at risk like that again. I would have eaten ANYTHING in order to save us from that.

It wasn't difficult to find Heather at Beautiful Dawnings. And through the Nashville Birth Network yahoo group, I was able to find plenty of people who had previously used Heather's services and so I felt that going with her was risk free. She was very easy to deal with both before and after the transaction. The process was simple. My husband and my midwife took care of packaging the placenta (after He-Man got a good look at it) and my midwife took the package to Heather. In two-three days, my placenta was delivered to Murfreesboro and also included a tincture (which Heather can replicate at any time, including when I am in menopause!), the capsules, and even a nice balm for sore cracked nipples. Nice.

Did it help me? I think it did, honestly. That first month, while I was taking the capsules, I felt great. I was emotionally okay. Despite the impending surgery my child was about to undergo, I kept it together. I even managed to avoid anemia which had been an important factor when deciding to go with placenta encapsulation (I was anemic after Donut was born). The day that I took my last capsule was the day that the tornadoes ripped through the boro. So who's to say which one of those things sent me into a tailspin. I will never know!

So, if you are local and you are having a baby and would like to have your placenta encapsulated, please contact Heather. She does an awesome job. You can encapsulate your own placenta but the kit doesn't really cost much less than Heather's services. And I don't know about you, but when I've just had a baby, dehydrating a placenta is the last thing I'll feel like doing.

EDIT: I actually met Heather finally and took this great picture of us together!

10 comments:

  1. We were prepared to have me eat my placenta - raw if need be - to prevent postpartum depression. While I've been through dark depressions in my life, I was lucky enough to never have one hit postpartum. I can't imagine dealing with a new baby while going through that.

    Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's awesome...a little gross...but awesome.

    It's really neat that they can put it into capsules. I could probably handle it in that form.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting. It's facinating that they can do all of that. I like you're writing here a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of women eating the placenta, but I had no idea it could be encapsulated. That is pretty cool. What a great service.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea it could be encapsulated, either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea this could be done! I did have my neighbor's placenta in my freezer for a little while, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And see, this is exactly why I made this post. So few people know about this incredible practice and now all of you will be able to share your knowledge with other moms!

    Thanks for the compliment on my writing, sweet Jen. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating! I had no idea and love that you posted about this. We are done in the child department, but you never know!

    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL -- my hubby reminded me the other day that my third son's placenta is still in the back of our freezer!!! I didn't know what to do with it, we haven't planted any new trees, and I'd never heard of encapsulation. Think it's too freezer burned? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i wish i could've afforded to do that. but thank jesus i didn't struggle with any postpartum.

    you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!