Friday, September 18, 2009

Unschooling He-Man and Donut: Avocado Seed Sprouting


Me: Hey Donut! I have an idea! Let's take these avocado pits and sprout them! It will be like a science experiment!
Donut: Yeah! That will be fun!
Me: He-Man, you want to join us?
He-Man: No. (playing with Wall-E figurines, can't take the time to even look up)

So, I got online and read how to set up the experiment. We got out the toothpicks, the jars that live in my microwave and ALWAYS get used, and we washed the avocado seeds but only after we used the extra meat to moisturize our hands (something I always look forward to doing).

Me: What do you think is going to happen to them, Donut?
Donut: I think they are going to change.
Me: Yeah? What are they going to change into?
Donut: They are going to turn purple!

We'll see, I suppose! Will keep you posted! So far, not purple.

3 comments:

  1. Oh fun! We did this too last year and the kids loved watching the pit split open and the roots grow...it grew pretty tall too! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love avocados! We might have to try that experiment. The pits also make a good feet massagers if you roll it back and forth between the bottom of your foot and the floor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see how this works for you! I have NEVER been successful with growing avocado pits. It frustrates me actually.

    lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!