Sunday, August 30, 2009

Worth Searching For at the Library: The Biggest Frog in Australia

I love my trips to the library. My kids don't care what books we get so I just go through the aisles, grabbing whatever suits my fancy. Yesterday I got a few dvds, cds, and a huge stack of books. We came home and He-Man and I cuddled on the couch and read.

Occasionally there is a really great book in my stack-o-many and I think that I should share it here. I'm finally getting around to sharing one. Yesterday I randomly discovered THE BIGGEST FROG IN AUSTRALIA by Susan L. Roth. My favorite thing about this book was the illustration. The artist used different types of textured paper for the animals and clouds, etc. They even used real eucalyptus leaves for some of the greenery. The story was derived from an Australian folk tale and there were new-to-all-of-us Australian-related vocabulary words throughout the book. I appreciate it when I can learn a lot from the books I read to the kids. He-Man says that his favorite part of the book was when the frog drank up all of the rain from the clouds. This book is definitely worth searching for at your local library.

3 comments:

  1. Oh! We're actually beginning a study on Australia.. I'm going to have to get this one! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute!

    I'll look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, we seem to accidentally be studying Australia and we love it!

    Dina, needless to say, the book made me think of you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!