Monday, August 31, 2009

Muffin Tin Monday: Circus Theme (Heck No We Won't Go)

We've never been to a circus but since He-Man has started to take an interest in elephants, I figure he might become interested in attending one in the near future. So, I thought that this Muffin Tin theme was the perfect opportunity to start out our elephant study by talking about animal cruelty and why I will never permit my family to attend a circus with animals. This resource was helpful. The kids are watching elephants in their natural habitat on a dvd from the library called "Elephant Tales" as I type this. Very cute and very gorgeous. I have ordered Peta comic books and a free curriculum for teaching children about how we are sharing the world with the animals and that we need to be cognizant of this fact. Not much into propaganda but it's not a bad idea to teach our kids why we don't buy regular eggs, regular milk, or regular meat, don'tcha think?

I've learned so much today. Did you know that there is an animal sanctuary, right here in Tennessee? These are elephants who have been rescued from the circus and are being allowed to roam free. Isn't that exciting and inspiring? You can watch them live on your computer. Their site has a curriculum appropriate for children. (I'm going to print it so any of you locals can look at it and see if it's worth printing and not worry about wasting paper!)

Later this afternoon we will read a couple of circus books, look online for a bit more info about animal cruelty in circuses, watch another elephant documentary that we checked out from a library, and investigate the live streaming video of the elephants living in freedom only and hour and a half away.

And in case you are interested in what's in my muffin tins... motorcycle wheels (dried pineapple), a "five little monkeys" act (Healthy Handfuls cookies), wheat free animal cookies, an all natural marshmallow dipped in peanut butter and dye-free sprinkles, "juggling balls" (grapes from our own back yard), and unicycle wheels (sliced cucumber).

Check out more muffin tin ideas at Her Cup Overfloweth.

10 comments:

  1. We don't attend circuses with animals either - for the exact same reason. I meant to write about that in my post, but I forgot. I have read about the elephants in the sanctuary too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't this a fun theme? I love all of your great ideas and information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We haven't been to a circus for these reasons as well. However, this was a fun theme and your tins are cute. LOVE the book reading you included too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was totally a fun theme. I love when I can tie MTM into a teaching opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, and thanks z&t, i think you're awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've been to the circus twice because people gave us free tickets. It bothered me though. I just used it as an opportunity to talk about the animals and how they had probably been trained. We also talked some about the treatment of animals when we rowed Another Celebrated Dancing Bear (circus bears)and The Story of Ferdinand (bull fighting). If you're interested there are some posts with links to videos of both on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cute muffin tin . i like that it was colorful

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your tin, so yummy and great learning experience for them as well, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The PETA curriculum is great! Dye Free sprinkles? We HAVE to get some! People thought I was crazy when I had a tizzy (ok, huge tizzy) when my son was given fruit punch at church. Seriously, I became unglued!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!