Sunday, August 23, 2009

Maybe I should start an advice column

I get a lot of emails from people asking for help regarding diet, homeschool, and alternative medicine. I wish that I was as much of an expert as my friends and acquaintances seem to think but sadly I'm not. But with the help of my readers, I bet we can really start to help people. So I've decided to start posting these emails here and then you, my dear readers, can help give a bit of a different perspective because who really wants to hear from just me all of the time?

Today's email is from a friend who is obviously not only eating junk food but also smoking crack because she cannot possibly be anything but gorgeous, even if I've not seen her in a little while. (Ahem! Hint hint). But as a busy homeschool mom of three, I can certainly relate to her predicament. As a matter of fact, I probably need to brainstorm this exact issue and to come up with a plan of action in this department for myself. Let's see what she has to say.

Mandddddiiiieeeeee Help Meeeeeeeeeeeeee!
I have been a total slob in the eating department- processed food, sugary junk, ect... I feel AWFUL and i don't know where to start eating right again! My body looks awful, feels awful in clothes (even though I run like a madwoman every week) and I am grumpy, less creative, sluggish... I need your help! Where do I start again? I love eating healthy... what the heck happened to me? Help help help!

While I've not fallen completely off the healthy eating bandwagon myself, I could certainly use some fine tuning. Here's my advice to my friend and to myself as well!

1. First of all, don't buy the junk food! You don't need it. Your kids don't need it. No one needs it. And an amazing thing I've learned is that when it's not in the house, it's impossible to eat it!

2. Find a couple of hours every week to prepare healthy snacks. If this means staying up late then stay up late. I know we are busy moms and finding an extra couple of hours sounds like an impossible challenge but it will save you time in the long run. I like to buy baby carrots, already cut and washed broccoli, celery, sugar snap peas. Make organic almond butter and preserves sandwiches and freeze them. You can take them out as you need them.

3. Have plenty of fruit on hand. If you have been running out (like I do) you either should buy more or go to the store more often.

4. Smoothies. I have a raw chocolate smoothie every single day. I also use Cookies and Cream Spirutein. (Buying it through VitaCost makes more sense for our budget.) Having a Magic Bullet helps as well.

5. Trader Joes sells individuals packs of raw trail mix and raw almonds. Buy them and keep them in the fridge. They are so nice and easy to grab when you are on the go.

6. Visit the farmer's market on a weekly basis. Here you can find great deals on healthy foods. Finally, a place that allows us poor people to afford the good stuff!

7. Keep it simple. I had some great pals over the other day and we munched on some simple, yummy, filling, and healthy snacks. My friend sliced mozzerella cheese and tomatoes and put a piece of each together. Those were gone in no time. I sliced a cucumber and topped each slice with a little goat cheese, salt, and olive oil. Yummy!

8. Popcorn. Seriously, even the organic is dirt cheap. It's high in fiber, fills you up, keeps you regular (snort) and is a great blank canvas (I like to add melted Earth Balance, salt, cayenne, agave nectar, and cinnamon. One of my friends loves to make it with just spices like oregano, garlic, and salt.)

Okay, readers, now it's your chance! Comment with some of your tips for my poor friend :). I just know that she can get back on track and feeling amazing in no time!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, you have such great tips already! I can see why everyone thinks you are an expert. I especially agree with your first point... just don't buy the junk food. Period. If it's not in the house, you can't eat it! And we also drink lots and lots of water. It's so good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Valerie!

    I drink a ton of water too. I remember how bad I felt when I was adjusting to drinking it about 13 years ago. Now I can't imagine going anywhere without one of my many water bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are some really good tips! You know, junk food is always a waste of money. Seriously. I mean, any food that you buy that has no nutritional value is literally money in the toliet, so it's funny to say it costs more to eat healthy. I mean, does anyone ever factor in the cost of exercise plans and medical bills? This is a great post! LOVE your colorful header.

    My husband was home schooled, and I think we're going to home school also. I'm homeschooling my preschooler right now. She's my oldest at 3 1/2. We'll see how badly I can mess her up when I start with kindergarten ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, but how I feel the same way as your friend sometimes! I swear I gained weight learning to cook from scratch last year, and I've been having trouble getting motivated to repeat myself this year. I know it's because I just ate too MUCH of the good stuff! LOL.

    I realized today that I didn't buy enough produce at the store yesterday -- everything from our CSA box on Saturday is gone. We do have stuff for smoothies, though! And plenty of raw nuts!

    My problem with junk food isn't bringing it in the house, but running into it everywhere we go outside of home. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found your blog a little while back and figured it's time for me to de-lurk! :)
    We're working on eating healthier around here and with a husband who doesn't like many veggies and loves lots of meat, it's hard! BUT we eat lots of nuts and I make granola a lot (which may or may not actually be too healthy).
    We try to drink lots of water and now that we do, it's amazing how groggy and down we fill when we haven't been drinking enough that day.
    Some of my snacks include...
    -carrots & peanut butter
    -tomatoes & cottage cheese
    -apples & peanut butter
    -nuts
    -fruit
    ...and other stuff I can't remember right now.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!