Thursday, August 27, 2009

I brake for rainbows!


Tonight, as we were driving back from Vanderbilt hospital (where we visited our dear friend who had surgery today), we saw the most incredible sight. Anyone who is familiar with my email address knows that I am a sucker for rainbows. I get super excited any time I see one. Just the other day I was talking with a friend and I don't recall the details of the conversation but I do remember that something was said about how cool it would be to see a double rainbow. Just this morning I was reading about Noah's Ark to He-Man and, of course, the Promise God made. I thought about how I am always seeing pictures of rainbows that are huge and that create a whole half circle arch. But I'd never seen one of those in real life. I started to wonder if they even existed. It was almost like God was answering me and my doubts. While we were driving, the Captain pointed out the rainbow. I started to watch it and I noticed that as we drove further, the rainbow grew larger and more bright. By the time we were in Murfreesboro, you could almost see the entire thing. He-Man pointed out that you could kinda see parts of it through the clouds but you could definitely see where it ended on both sides. I started to become very excited. My sweet husband finally pulled over so that I could get out of the car and take some photos. I couldn't capture the entire thing, unfortunately. As I was taking the pictures, though, suddenly I realized that there were two rainbows! My first entire rainbow and my first double rainbow, all in the same night. It was magnificent. It was glorious. Here's the really super cool part. Remember that tornado that ripped parts of our city to shreds back in April. Well, we stopped at the exit closest to where the tornado crossed the interstate. It was almost as if those rainbows were directly above where the tornado caused some of the worst damage. Looking at those amazing colors gave me a peace that I'd not had in quite some time. I felt as if those rainbows were a new promise to the people of my city... a promise that God is with us and that He is protecting us. It felt a little bit like those two rainbows were just for me.

5 comments:

  1. Great pics! I noticed a visit to an Amish community is on your to-do list. I just joined a field trip group who is planning a trip to an Amish community in the spring. Email me at amyscruggs@comcast.net if you're interested. I'd be glad to send you the info. Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't doubt it.
    I think we often are sent messages, it's just a matter of whether or not we choose to receive them.
    Yours were beautiful, and as you were writing about it, my mind went back to the story you linked to about the tornadoes, so Hmmm.
    Pretty magical indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing site to see!

    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always amazed when I see a rainbow. The last one I saw was during the Relay for Life and I thought that was pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!