Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Do a Dot Art

Have you seen these in the stores? I have been intrigued by these things for months now. While they did bring back unpleasant memories of being dragged to Kentucky to play Bingo with my parents a couple of years before my mom died, I was still interested in giving them a try. I had a 40% off coupon for Michael's and I decided to go ahead and take the plunge. Somehow I just knew that my kiddos would love them and boy was I right! I have never seen either of my kids so excited about creating art, and that is saying a lot. Donut and He-man have finished masterpiece after masterpiece since we bought them a couple of weeks ago. Both of them are taking more time and putting more effort into the art that they are creating. They are building confidence in their abilities as artists and have actually been starting and completing art projects. It's been really fun to watch them grow in their creativity.


A few of the masterpieces.

Notecards for my Favorite Things Swap Partner.

My only complaint is that the markers have a slight odor. But the odor is really no different from that of other children's paints. I just don't like those types of smells!

4 comments:

  1. Glad your kids are enjoying them. My mother-in-law always buys new art products (of the more gimmicky sort) for my kids for birthdays and a few years ago bought those. My kids immediately ignored any instructins and pulled off all the spongy bits. They still worked but were not nearly so interesting and MUCH messier. They didn't last long in our house and the kids aren't interested in trying them again--even using them properly. Mostly they just prefer to use my acrylics (which I hate to use due to the smell) and my watercolors. I let them use quality watercolor paper (because quality paper makes all the difference when painting with watercolors).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you posted about this because I have been thinking about getting some of these, and I hesitated because they seemed pricey and I wasn't really sure if they would be a big hit or not. They obviously are! Never thought to use the 40% off coupon... brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather,
    I'm shocked that my kids haven't tried to pick them apart yet. Maybe it's because I demonstrated the way they worked before they ever touched them. I'm not sure. At any rate, we went today and got a second pack. They did art with them all afternoon!

    Valerie,
    Glad that I could give some insight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love using these. My only complaint is that they are not as washable as our other markers, but that is okay. We are just a bit more cautious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!