Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Natural Nature Learning

Friday we spent "Learn Nothing Day" with some of our fellow homeschooling friends. First we all met at the Wilderness Station at Barfield Crescent park for a butterfly class. He-Man was pretty intrigued. After the class, most of us headed back to my house for lunch and a playdate. I so enjoyed visiting with these friends and I know my boy loved having some of his five year old pals over!

Saturday morning we had a wonderful natural learning experience in our own back yard. I glanced out the window and saw what I thought was a wild turkey (the Captain later corrected me... apparently they were wild Canadian geese). Then I saw another one. I called the kids in to see them after I snapped a couple of pics. While I was putting away the camera, the kids realized that there was a baby. We quickly put on our shoes and headed outside to get a closer look. There wasn't just one baby. There was a whole family. We watched them escape the dangerous humans (us) through a hole in our fence. Then we watched them line up and march away through the neighbor's yard. While we were outside, we took a moment to check in our our grapevines, which are getting purple, and our pear trees, whose limbs are heavy with bounty. Locals, you better be prepared to come help take some of these pears and apples off our hands this fall. It's CRAZY how much fruit we have around here!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I completely forgot about Learn Nothing Day! I suppose it's an impossible task anyway. ;) Looks like you had a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how much learning is done on a Learn Nothing day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristi, that's sorta the point... the notion that unschoolers need to take a break from learning b/c we believe that learning is always happening, even if it's not "formal education"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Learn nothing day," I love that! Getting the kids outside is always an adventure. Seeing a family of geese right there must have been exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of learn nothing day. Yeah. totally impossible. Right?

    I love seeing animals in our yard. We have this female cardinal who keeps coming to our side window. He sits and taps on the glass. I guess he wants to come in and hang out with us. It definitely gives our cat some excitement.

    Awesome about all your fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't mind having your back yard! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!