Monday, July 27, 2009

Muffin Tin Monday and Australian Bread

I normally hate those little email subscription things that you can sign up for that arrive in your inbox daily. They feel a lot like spam. However, someone posted the link to Productive Parenting on a message board to which I belong. I hesitated but something about the site drew me to it. I signed up just to get activities for the Donut. I am only getting them three days a week. So far, I'm really pleased. This is the one I got today:
Target Age:
Middle Three-Year Old
Materials You Will Need:
baking sheet, cooking spray, milk, salt, self-rising flour
What To Do:

Introduce your child to a food from another culture by showing your child how to make Australian Damper Bread. Have your child help you measure and sift 2 cups of self-rising flour and salt into a large mixing bowl, then add about a cup of milk. Your child can mix this together using clean hands, then transfer the ball of dough to a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for about 25-30 minutes.

While you enjoy your snack, show your child the origin of this recipe by pointing out Australia on a world map. See if your child can compare this favorite Australian snack to the snacks your child usually enjoys.

So, we did this. Donut and I made Australian Damper bread. She did most of the work. While we ate it, we used the globe to find out where Australia is located. The activity was a success.

We also used our bread for today's Muffin Tins:

Here we have cheese, damper bread, half of a Lara bar, turkey, green apple and for dessert, chocolate chips and marshmallows.
He-Man got creative with his food. He says, "The Muffin Tin Meal is so delicious!"

He-Man ate all of his. Donut ate one section. Can you guess which one?

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun! We'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're good with finding Australia on the map...not so good at making the damper. We tried it once and it turned out awful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right, that stuff does feel like spam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy!

    I'll have to try that bread, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Food is such a great way to introduce new places... it is like the remember it in their brains and their bellies. :)

    Val

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do not have to publish this... but I love your 'about me' paragraph. It seems so sweet and genuine. I too, am an unschooler of sorts. We go where the wind takes us, and sometimes that is book work, sometimes that is Waldorf, and sometimes that is nothing but trips to the zoo to draw animals. But we have a heck of a lot of fun, and I have enjoyed finding trust in that process and enjoying learning with my kids.

    I just wanted to let you know that it was cool to find a kindred spirit in you. :) Have a great night!

    Val

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!