Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Homeschool home makeover, part 1

Despite my recent back injury, I pushed myself on Sunday and started the great task of converting Donut's relatively unused room into a playroom/"school" room. With a little help from the rest of the family, I managed to nearly complete the task. Right now we are just waiting on the rug that the Captain purchased today. Purple carpet. Half price. Okay, here are the pictures!

First, I moved the Donut's clothes into He-Man's closet. On top, in order, are Draykie's, He-Man's and Donut's next size clothing. On the floor, cloth diapers and a basket of shoes. The middle shelf holds their memory boxes. Where I shove anything and everything I think that they might like to have one day.


Here are Donut's size 5 clothes and their "pendanight bags" (Hi, Jaime!).
Next are their linens.
In the drawers are Donut's drawer clothes.

I even "married"' their shelf items so that the shelves are now belonging to both of them.

And, drum roll please, the official playroom/"school" room.


Doll House and Fairy play set

Such a symbol of how we have officially entered the new stage of parenting. This piece of furniture used to hold the little socks and onesies of my babes. Now it's holding activities and "learning accessories".
Audio listening center (to which I added a headset and cd player today).
The closet... to the left are the costumes/dress up items. The rest is just random toys. We keep all of the board games, etc in the hall closet.

This bookshelf is now organized by topic... numbers, letters, art, science, and Bible. I realized that I have no money to buy anything great for our homeschool so I'm going to have to use the stuff I already had. Turned out to be quite a good assortment of books!
The emptied out drawers that will be used for the "workbox" system.. though I am going to call them something else. Not sure what yet though. I'm also not sure if I'm going to assign one to He-Man and one to Donut or just put double of the same activities in each drawer. Any thoughts on that one?

The puzzle basket!!
My "princess" could not care less about this little corner of girlishness.
Well, that's it so far. As more changes are made, I'll post pics of that too!

14 comments:

  1. Soooooo Great! I'll post pictures of mine soon too. I'm still working on things. It's been a slow process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I love organizing the school room....umm, I mean dining room/school room ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would definitely assign them their own drawers. This system works well for us because G can visually see what he has left to do. If they shared & some of Donut's stuff was still in the drawer, He-man wouldn't be able to easily see if he had finished or not. Maybe a couple of drawers for each of them, then a couple to share in which you would put games they could work on together?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job!! Everything looks so great! I'm jealous of the fabulous organization that you've got going on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is great! What a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all so much for the sweet comments. Sherry, I think you are right. I have a third one of those drawer thingys that I've emptied out. Maybe I'll make it the shared one because I was going to put art and other random "subjects" in those drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The closets look great, Mandy! Doesn't it feel good to have things in order? I'm still working on our summer overhaul -- I'm hoping I haven't bitten off more than I can chew before summer ends and we're expected to be social again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! My daughter would go CRAZY for that girly area of the room!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! It looks great. You're so neat & organized.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great Mandy!! I love those closet shelves!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in the process of turning a spare room into a classroom too.. so I am really curious now about what other peoples' classrooms look like! Thanks for sharing! Oh, and may I ask where you got the adorable fairy playset? I want one for myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, it feels fabulous to have everything in order. And we are still not 100% yet but we are getting there! Eventually I hope to have an art space as well but until that day, I'm just excited to have what we have, ya know?

    Erin, I got the fairy set at Tuesday Morning. It was half the price that it is here. The kids have used it twice since Christmas. Grrr.

    http://www4.shopping.com/xPO-Step-2-Step2-Fairy-Wonderland~linkin_id-8051933~semid1-51960899~oq-Step-2-Step2-Fairy-Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice Job!

    That's funny she hardly used it as her bedroom. As much as grown ups think a kid might like their own room, I find, until they're teenagers, they like the company.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!