Wednesday, July 8, 2009

BBQ Tofu "Recipe"

I'm not big on recipes. I don't measure things. But here are the steps for making my awesome, amazing, fabulous bbq tofu.

First of all, get the tofu in the tubs of water that you will find in the produce/refrigerated section of the grocery store. When you get it home, put it in the freezer. A person I dislike greatly did give me that tip many years ago and I've been forever thankful. Once the tofu has been frozen and then thawed, it takes on a new texture. It's chewier and is just simply easier to work with. Trust me, you won't be sorry. I keep a few containers of tofu in my freezer at all times.

Next, when you are thawing your tofu, either keep the container intact or put it up somewhere that your 3 year old is unable to reach. Or else you might end up with a few oddly shaped pieces of tofu like you see here in my pictures.

After the tofu is thawed, squeeze it. A lot. To get out all of the liquid. Then slice it.

On one plate, put a bunch of bbq sauce. I like the sauce from Trader Joe's.

You can dip the tofu in the sauce. Then you will coat it with the breaded topping. All of ingredients for the breaded topping can be seen here:
(that's garlic powder, hot sauce, nutritional yeast, oregano, onion powder, bread crumbs, pepper, and salt)
Make lots of the breaded topping. Whatever doesn't stick to the tofu will bake, get crunchy and make a fantastic topping for the salad you might serve with the tofu.

Cover the little pieces of tofu with sesame seeds. Or you could put them in the topping. Whichever!

Bake at 350 for a while. Don't ask me how long. Keep an eye on it. When it's nice and brown, it's done.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!