Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Never Gonna Hold the Hand of Another Guy

Sunday is Father's day which means that, like it or not, I start to think about my dad. Which means that I get a little moody, emotional, and a bit spaced out. It also means that I'm led to do stupid things like listen to certain Dixie Chicks songs that make me think of my parents. And then burst into tears while listening to said song, even if I'm behind the wheel of the car, to which my son replies, "Are you crying about this song? Does it make you sad?"

Yes it does. I can't help but think about how thankful my mama must have been when she got the word that daddy was coming home from Vietnam because he had a hole shot through his little toe. That's right. He got to leave the war because of a pinky toe injury. Now that's just plain lucky!

This young couple wasn't quite so.

"Travelin' Soldier"

Two days past eighteen
He was waiting for the bus in his army green
Sat down in a booth in a cafe there
Gave his order to a girl with a bow in her hair
He's a little shy so she gives him a smile
And he said would you mind sittin' down for a while
And talking to me,
I'm feeling a little low
She said I'm off in an hour and I know where we can go

So they went down and they sat on the pier
He said I bet you got a boyfriend but I don't care
I got no one to send a letter to
Would you mind if I sent one back here to you

Chorus: I cried
Never gonna hold the hand of another guy
Too young for him they told her
Waitin' for the love of a travelin' soldier
Our love will never end
Waitin' for the soldier to come back again
Never more to be alone when the letter said
A soldier's coming home

So the letters came from an army camp
In California then Vietnam
And he told her of his heart
It might be love and all of the things he was so scared of
He said when it's getting kinda rough over here
I think of that day sittin' down at the pier
And I close my eyes and see your pretty smile
Don't worry but I won't be able to write for awhile


One Friday night at a football game
The Lord's Prayer said and the Anthem sang
A man said folks would you bow your heads
For a list of local Vietnam dead
Crying all alone under the stands
Was a piccolo player in the marching band
And one name read but nobody really cared
But a pretty little girl with a bow in her hair




11 comments:

  1. Here's a link, in case anyone wants to hear it:

    http://www.playlist.com/playlist/additem/411674641

    ReplyDelete
  2. the dixie chicks make me think of my momma. have you heard "top of the world"!!? that song really really gets me. so does "godspeed."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie... urmm... I blogged about "Top of the World" here: http://mandyray.blogspot.com/2008/09/friday-afternoon-videos.html

    That song tears me in two.

    "Godspeed" will always be a Radney Foster song in my mind though. He wrote it and the first time I heard it, it was on his cd. It's an amazing song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi friend, I just read your comment on my blog and of course I will pray for you about some decisions you are facing or will be in the near future. I know how that is so don't feel bad. I too have been shown by the Lord that He wants me to get better control over my kids. My husband and I both need to work on this. So yes, I will pray for you sweetie. And if there is anything else you need I will be there too. Just let me know.
    Lotsaluv,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sarah! I hope to have a clear answer about whether or not the Lord expects me to disclose my past on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I'm visiting from Follow Me Club1. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The new Blog layout looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Veronica, tried to click on your name to take me to your profile and no such luck! I want to see your blog too!

    Thanks Jen, I'm super happy with it! Still a little tweaking to be done but ya know how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the follow. I'm now following your lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being at odds with my father, Father's day followed by our shortly followed shared birthday's always sends me for a whirl as well.
    An odd mix of love and grief. I focus on the love of my husband and what a wonderful father he is to my kids.
    I do understand the moodiness and spaciness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Veronica Lee! I'm following you too!

    Z&T, I didn't know that about you. We should talk, girl ;). It is very hard. I am feeling led by the Lord to send him a Father's day card so I have to make that decision today. I think I might print a photo of baby D and send it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!