Monday, April 6, 2009

Gilmore anyone?

(First of all, I'm sorry for not blogging for so long! A whole week. What's the matter with me? It's not like I'm tired and have very little energy for the essentials like showering due to having just experiencing a major life changing event or anything, right?)

While I've been forced to rest and while I've been forced to not rest (i.e. up for a couple of hours in the middle of the night in order to nurse, change dirty diapers, refuel for the next feeding), I decided to get out season four of one of my all-time favorite tv shows, "Gilmore Girls" and indulge a little.

I miss that show. Oh how I desperately want to be able to tune in weekly in order to find out what's going on with Rory and Lorelai, Richard and Emily. Luke. Sookie. Mechele. I like to imagine how the storyline might have gone after we were no longer able to peek in on their little world. I imagine that Luke and Lorelai finally got it together and tied the knot. Maybe they had a small private ceremony at the Dragonfly Inn and then had a huge reception for the entire town of Stars Hollow in the town square, even though that might have been a little weird since that was how Dean and Lindsay celebrated their big and ill-fated day. Perhaps Luke and Lorelai have a couple of kids now, one girl and one boy. And their names start with an L. Maybe Rory ended up with Logan after all since I never liked Dean or Jess. And maybe Logan stopped letting his dad control him and he let himself be totally cut off and he was finally happy.

While watching the show lately, I discovered how much I love Jason Stiles (and I would NOT have wanted to be the girl who had to choose between him and Luke). I already knew that I loved Luke but I didn't know just how much. He's dependable, steadfast, grumpy, skeptical, and reminds me so very much of my husband. I don't like Rory and my dislike for her happened faster this time around. Richard and Emily are two people with whom I'd LOVE to have dinner! And I'd forgotten all about Sookie and Jackson's homebirth and weirdo midwife! Such pleasant surprises were lurking in season four the second time around.

Television is such a crutch for me. I think that I use it to distract me and to make me feel less alone. The characters on my favorite television shows are like good friends to me. I miss them when I haven't been acquainted in a while. We need to "catch up". However, I know that I might be better served to turn to the Bible and to prayer whenever I'm feeling alone and in need of distraction. I need to catch up with Him, my real friend. This seems like the perfect week to work on this issue.

On the other hand, I still love "Gilmore Girls". Did you watch this show? What was your favorite thing about it? Your favorite character? Is there another show with characters who feel like "old friends" to you? I'd love to know about your personal relationship with television!

7 comments:

  1. Oh my, I own every single season of Gilmore Girls on dvd and watch them over and over and over.. I was so sad when it came to an end. I'm not one to get "hooked" on shows, but I watched this one from the very beginning and they became like close friends to me. I wish more than anything that Stars Hollow was a real place and that I could live there! Ha, I'm sure I sound crazy. I just love all the quirky characters and smart humor. Aww.. now I need to go watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I used to love that show! I was obsessed with Dean and Rory, I hated it when they broke up. I never liked Jess either, but did like Logan for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad to say I didn't watch Gimore Girls.:( But I do love Rory (?) in Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and I also saw her in the last episode of ER last week. I do have a good friend that named her daughter Lorelei though!:)
    Glad you have something fun to watch while you recover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I was into Gilmore Girls too. One of my favorite characters was Luke, and of course Lorelei, she was just crazy and silly! (and her name is on our baby name list!! We love it!) I always wished Stars Hollow was a real place too, so cozy and quaint. You felt like you could really relax there and just know all your neighbors and their little quirky things that made them so funny.

    Another show that I was hooked on back then was Everwood. A similar type of show set in a quaint town in Colorado with some very quirky and fun characters as well. Just like Gilmore Girls, I felt like I really got to know those characters and they were like friends. I miss that show very much!

    I also liked Seventh Heaven about the pastor and his large family. All three of those shows ended around the same time. And in my opinion, none of the new shows even compare to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have to say that I have never seen Gilmore Girls....but I grew up on ER and now that it is off the air, I shall have to do watching re-runs on youtube and HULU. le'sigh......

    I have to say, though, it ended really well. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't get into Gilmore Girls until the 2nd to last season. When Joel moved up north (6 months before I did), I started getting Gilmore Girls on Netflix. I'm almost through the 3rd season.

    What's really pathetic is that Rosemary got very excited when she saw Lorelai and Rory on your screen ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I soooooooooooooooo miss this show...but I DO have every season on DVD...LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!