Sunday, March 29, 2009

Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie

Last night I was able to capture something resembling normalcy in my home by spending some time with my daughter in the kitchen. Of course this was before the debilitating tornado/storm anxiety took over and left me incapacitated for the rest of the evening. (Seriously, there were some significant storms that went through our area and left our friends' church building damaged.) But, prior to the storms, I felt decent enough to cook and to even let the donut help out some. We made vegetarian shepherd's pie. I posted this on my facebook status update and had a couple of recipe requests. Well, I don't use recipes. I put together random dishes and could hardly recreate them from one time to another because I don't measure ingredients. Mama always said that I cooked like my grandmothers and that they were great cooks. I believe in living fearlessly... and that includes living fearlessly in the kitchen! Either way, I had boiled some potatoes and chopped an onion earlier in the week on a particularly productive morning in anticipation of cooking said shepherd's pie. These pre-done tasks made the process easier! I suggest that everyone chop extra onions and cook several things at a time in order to cut down on cooking time throughout the week. It's great! At any rate, the donut helped me mash the potatoes with a masher. We included Earth Balance, sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, and a few splashes of plain rice milk. We also included the rest of the organic aged Parmesan cheese but this could have been eliminated in order to make the dish totally vegan. I just didn't want the cheese to go bad and be wasted. It was tasty, I admit! I sauteed the onion with the Yves ground "meat" and some organic Worcestershire sauce (which I guess is not vegan either now that I think of it). The "meat" and onion mixture went on the bottom of the glass dish followed by some frozen organic corn and peas. On top of that I spooned about 1/4th of a jar of tomato pasta sauce all over the mixture. I couldn't overdo the tomato because the captain is not a fan. But a little was okay and just the right amount to make this shepherd's pie have an "Italian" flair! Then we topped it all off with the mashed potatoes. Pretty simple and everyone seemed to like it (or not hate it), including the Captain! He actually commented on how good it was! Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!