Thursday, March 19, 2009

Thankful Thursday: A distraction from PPD


It's a good thing that it's Thursday because as low as I've been feeling, it's great that I'm being forced to reflect upon the good things. So, no crying. No weepies. For the next few moments, I'm going to write about the things that are making me smile.

I'm thankful for my sweet healthy children who seem to really love their brother, for my husband who is helpful and takes such good care of us, for an opportunity to stretch and grow as a wife (even if it's hurting me like heck), nice weather and sitting next to this open window and hearing the birds outside, for no longer needing Ibuprofen because I'm healing and feeling better, for friends who take the time out of their day to spend the morning with you and boil your eggs because you always screw it up, for people to whom I can talk about ppd, people who get it and who are willing to listen, for the lovely yellow flowers from my friend Courtney, for an abundant milk supply and a good nurser (despite my hatred of breastfeeding... I know, I'm a huge contradiction), for episodes of "Arrested Development" already watched but enjoyable again and again, and for my nursing tanks on the way!

I'm also thankful for all of your outpouring of love and support. Your comments either here on my blog or on Facebook or via email have been greatly appreciated as always.

9 comments:

  1. Sorry about your PPD.

    Did you have it with your other kids? Do you think it's the normal PPD that most of us have after we have the baby, or a more serious kind?

    Anyway, I hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness for Thankful Thursdays. :)

    I'm sorry you're not feeling well, Mandy! I've been there, and it totally completely sucks. I'm glad you have good friends nearby. Make as much use of them as you possibly can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I made it again! :-)
    Seriously, I just wish I had done more for you. You've been doing such an amazing job with all of this - I am so insanely proud of you!!
    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to look at all the thankful things! Sorry for the PPD! As I am reading your post, I can relate to so much of it! I am passionate about BFing and have done so with both of my kids, but I so hate it too! I struggled with PPD BAD with my daughter (should have been on meds with the thoughts I had) and then again with my son.. different form but BAD still. IT sucks on all levels! Glad you have a positive outlook thru it! HUGS!! Glad you have an awesome support system of momma's.. that is SO important!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You beautiful light to women of all stages. I will be praying for your speedy recovery from the imbalance. May I suggest doubling up on your b-vitamins and omega 3fatty acids. Maybe have the Captain pick up some laugh your butt off DVD's.
    You will overcome and be the light for others who suffer from PPD.
    `Kisha`
    kishag.blogspot.com
    balancedandpurposed.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dina, Yes, I had mild PPD with H but I was on medication until he was a couple of months old so I'm sure it would have been much worse. With the Donut I had it pretty severely and ended up in very bad shape. But I was also grieving for my mom at the time so it hard to know where one issue ended and the other began. I am feeling better though. Thank you!

    MAC: You're cool enough to make my blog repeatedly! Lucky girl!

    Meredith: I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who is a boob nazi but also hates to breast feed. There is no way that I'd not do it but I'm gritting my teeth the entire time. It HURTS so much!! And thanks for sharing with me about your PPD.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kisha, Thank you girl! I appreciate your advice and support! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Hugs!
    PPD is such a challenge. I'm glad you have so much support around you.
    I also hated breast feeding but kept it going for 15 months with each kid. Interestingly enough, I experienced the PPD after finishing breastfeeding my second child. I think it was the rebalancing of my hormones and it was very hard.
    Go easy on yourself. It sounds like you know how to balance the hormones with the actual joy in your life.
    Congratulations again on your beautiful new son.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mandy,
    Your birth story is beautiful and the name change is such a great tribute to your mama. I hope that we will have a trip your direction this summer and get to see all of you. You are precious to me.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!