Sunday, February 8, 2009

Early in the morning

This week has been remarkably difficult. In addition to battling what I thought was a stomach bug but I'm not so sure now, both of the kiddos have a cold. First He-Man, then the Donut. It's been a week of sniffing, coughing, sneezing, echinacea, and rest. For all of us. This is also the week when the Captain works both of his full time jobs so not having him around makes it that much harder.

The children haven't been sleeping well. The Donut and I go to sleep for about three or four hours and then she's been waking me up with her hot hot firecracker lips, her tossing and turning, and teeth grinding. It's incredibly difficult to sleep through all of that, no matter how much liquid calcium and magnesium a person takes before bedtime.

However, God uses even these times of trial in order to bring joy. He is certainly faithful. Sure, I've not been getting much sleep but what I have been getting is some really special time with the Donut. After I get up in the mornings, she follows me. She comes into the living room and sits with me. She is sitting with me now. She's calling me knuckle head and telling me that when I'm done "working" that we can do just a little bit of coloring... just one page.

Yesterday morning we got up, shared a pizza, and snuggled on the couch while we watched "The Brady Bunch" and "Olivia". She is an entirely different child when we are alone, just the two of us, with no brother. She is sweeter and more gentle. She is kind. She uses her manners. She is just a little bit funnier. And her company truly is the best company I've found yet. On our way back to bed yesterday morning she said to me, "Mama, when it's dark again, can we get up and do some cuddling together?" I didn't say, "We'll see. Instead I said, "YES!" She also chose the early morning cuddling time as a chance to tell me that she no longer wants to attend karate school because she wants to be a sweet girl and not beat people up. I said, "You don't want to start a fight anymore?" and she said, "No, I want to be sweet." That's music to my ears!

She's really growing up, this little princess of mine. She has started asking me about her grandfather. A few nights ago, we stayed up late talking about him and crying together. We looked at old photos. She wants to know why her grandpa doesn't know her. She wants to know when she can see him because she wants to give him love and that just breaks my heart. He has no clue what he's missing his life by not having this precious child around. She is a gift from God.

Having a special mother/daughter relationship is so incredibly valuable to me. There are moments when I find myself feeling sad because this baby, quite possibly the last one, is a boy. And that means I may only have this one girl. But if that is the case, it will be just fine. For I have a feeling that this is going to be the mother/daughter relationship that I always dreamed of having with my own mom. We will be that close but this time around, it's going to be healthy. For that I am thankful.

My little girl gives new meaning to a song that means so much to me for so many different reasons. I look forward to her being just a tad bit older so that we can cuddle on the couch and watch Mary and Rhoda together.

2 comments:

  1. That is so awesome to hear how you and your daughter are bonding! What a special time! There is just nothing like motherhood is there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's so awesome that you and your daughter have had a chance to spend some alone time together growing closer and bonding. Our children are always so much more well-behaved, sweeter, and happier when they have one on one alone time with us. I hope you all get feeling better soon, it's tough when everyone is sick all at once.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!