Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful Thursday: Special Thanksgiving Edition


Happy Thanksgiving, Dear Readers!

My Thanksgiving has been extra special this year. I've made some "important breakthroughs" (how analytical of me) and I just can't wait to share them with you! Our holiday started on Tuesday when we spent the day making special Thanksgiving Day crafts and enjoying a quiet day at home. The original plan had been to have friends over to celebrate my birthday (which was yesterday) but I decided to cancel that out of respect for my husband. (More to come about respecting my husband and my birthday in the next post). The kids and I made a centerpiece for our family table, our own pumpkin pies out of construction paper and spices (this was an awesome fine motor skills activity as it required pinching and sprinkling), and place cards with notes about why they were thankful for each and every person who attended our ever-growing Thanksgiving Eve feast at the home of my in-laws. We also enjoyed playing Thanksgiving BINGO and singing Thanksgiving songs. They learned the words pilgrim, indian, and cornucopia.

Last night we spent the evening with our family. I almost typed "my husband's family" but I stopped myself. Because they are my family too. They have to be. They are the only family I have. Sure, they drive me nuts sometimes (and I'm sure I drive them totally up the wall on a weekly basis as well) but I am terribly thankful for them. Despite a rocky start, I feel closer to them than I ever did to my own parents... even my mom. I had a hard time being close to my mom as I grew older because I always felt so responsible for her. The constant need to take care of her (which she totally brought on herself) was making me crazier and crazier. I've experienced such peace now that I don't have to worry about her. For the past two years, I've spent Thanksgiving feeling sorry for myself and my children. We were these losers who only had one family to visit with during the holidays and they didn't count because we saw them all of the time. This year, my attitude was different. Instead of feeling self-pity for what I don't have, I've forced myself to think, "Boy, I sure am lucky to have my husband's family right here in the same town as us and I'm very fortunate that they are such awesome wonderful people and fun, reliable grandparents."
So, today we started the day with watching the Thanksgiving Day parade and eating pumpkin muffins in leaf/pumpkin shapes. After that, the kids and I spent the day with my in-laws again. And I was thankful to be there. To eat their leftovers and lounge on their sofa. I realized just how lucky I am to have them. Some people don't have anyone. They may not be my birth parents but they are the parents that God gave me. And in my opinion, they've done a better job of "raisin'" me in the past six years than my parents did the first 25.

1 comment:

  1. Those pumpkins are awesome...what great ideas!! I think this year has been really great too! Being thankful is way more fun than being sad....I didn't like those years. hehe Every year gets better!! love you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!