Saturday, November 29, 2008

And for my 32nd year

Inspired by this friend and by this friend, I've decided to try the whole "New Year's Resolution" deal for my birthday instead of on January 1st. I'm not really into your typical resolution anymore. I don't want to proclaim to lose ten pounds or anything of that nature. Instead, I have decided to pick one or two areas in my life that I would like to improve and then focus on those.

First of all, I've decided to do as much as I personally can, without getting childcare and heading out of the house for "work", to help this family get out of debt. There are several things that I'm considering... like teaching art to preschoolers through this program or finding a "crafty niche" and selling the dickens out of my product. Maybe I'll eventually start that green cleaning business but I doubt that 2009 is the time to do it! I also hope to be bringing in some sort of revenue from blogging by the time I turn 32. That would be really nice.

But the most important goal that I've set for myself during this upcoming year is to really focus on being an upstanding, serving, praying wife. What I'd really like is to find a mentor... someone who is seasoned in marriage, who is a Christian, and who has time to spend chatting with me at least every other week or so. I'm not really sure how to go about finding this so-called mentor and I feel silly asking around- everyone is so busy. I noticed that over the past couple of weeks, when I've started praying much more regularly for my husband and the situations we are facing financially, little and big things keep happening to take pressure and stress off of the man I love. I believe that behind every successful man is a faithfully praying wife. So, the amount of time I spend worrying, making lists, and nagging, I could instead be going to God. I'd also like to start and finish a Bible study related to this topic. I will take advantage of some of my favorite resources like Above Rubies and investigate some new ones like Apples of Gold. What I would love more than anything is for there to be a marriage mentoring or wife mentoring program through our church. One day maybe! In the meantime, if you are reading this and feel so led, please send me any ideas for Bible studies I can do on my own or other resources of encouragement! I'm open to all ideas and I'm excited to start this new journey of becoming the best wife I can possibly be!

On a side note, there seemed to be a bit of a theme for the gifts I received this year. My friend Carolyn brought me handmade candles. My friend Jen brought me tea (and a soothing hair brush as well). My sweet husband bought me some of these in black. And I treated myself to a nice cozy sweater because nothing I owned was fitting over my big belly at this point! In the very early morning on my birthday, I entered my bedroom to see the sweet vision of my two angels holding one another in a warm embrace. So, I felt very warmed, literally and figuratively, by the goodies I received... and blessed that my pals remembered me and my special day.

3 comments:

  1. i had tofurkey on thanksgiving. it was very ... interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the cutest pictures ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! Wishing you much success in achieving your goals this year ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!