Monday, October 6, 2008

Welcoming in the Fall with a bit of a break

For the past three weeks, I'd been "schooling" pretty intensely. Particularly for a preschool homeschooler. So, around the middle of last week I started experiencing what some of you veteran homeschoolers might call "burn out". Everything was going well until one morning I tried to start the book TEACH YOUR CHILD TO READ IN 100 EASY LESSONS. Lesson number 1 brought about some stress, for both me and He-Man. I started doubting myself. Doubting my ability to homeschool. Doubting my ability to raise three kids. You know the drill. Right? Please tell me you know the drill!

That morning I unconsciously decided to take a much needed long weekend. And I also rethought my decision to carry our homeschool lessons over into our vacation. Why bother taking a vacation if you are going to work yourself to death throughout its entirety? So, the kids and I headed to the library for their first story time and to pick out books/movies for the upcoming week. I'm super excited about story time because the last time I signed He-Man up, he refused to participate and I stopped going. They both had a blast and we enjoyed some special time outside, despite a little boy's recurring nose bleed. Two of my favorite people run the children's department at our library and they do a splendid job. I felt so relaxed and calm while we were there. I can't wait to see what they have planned this Thursday.

Thursday evening was a trip to Chuck E Cheese. My mother-in-law is the librarian at a local school and they had a fund raising night. The kids had a good time but sadly we had to cut our trip short due to a certain pee pee accident on the floor. And, no, it was not mine.

Friday we had a wonderful time at the Discovery Center with our Homeschool group. I just LOVE these girls. And their sweet children. I talked my "issues" over with the other moms and they assured me that the reading lesson book isn't as hard at the intro implies that I could make it and that I'm far far ahead of the game by schooling a 4.5 year old. They were all so encouraging and I'm seriously so incredibly thankful for them!! I wouldn't want to tackle homeschool without their support.

On Saturday we headed to the Chic-fil-a in Smyrna to have lunch with my cousin and her three children. I am grateful to have her in my life and I want our children to get to know one another better. As you can see in the photo, they don't know each other that well. But Shannon and I are going to do a better job of creating a sense of family for them. She and I were the best of friends growing up and it means so much that I have her in my life.

After our lunch we came back to the Boro for the Fall Festival at the Captain's alma mater. I saw some church friends, bought some junk food, and watched my son ride a pony. Fun was had by all. Except for poor Papa who ended up having to climb to the top of the VERY TALL inflatible slide to rescue a scared Donut.

Speaking of a scared Donut... when we got home Saturday evening, there was a bit of an accident. See, Donut gets sooooo tired during the day that she throws these unsightly fits on the sidewalk. I kept asking if I could help her inside during the one on Saturday but she kept yelling No at me. I went about my business and occasionally checked on her. After a little while, she's on the steps, putting her new princess shoes inside the door. I ask if I can help and she agrees. I try to open the door a little bit and she loses her balance, falls backwards. Hard. Splat, onto the brick steps. I pick her up and all I see is blood. Everywhere. I have no idea from where the blood is coming. It's just all over me and all over her. I don't do well with blood. At all. I wake her daddy up by yelling, "Blood. A lot of it. Help me!" I'm a wreck. Turns out it was coming from her head. And it's alllll over her pretty blonde hair. I tell him to take her to the shower. I can't even go in there. I kept asking if I should call an ambulance but he insists that it's not as bad as it looks. Honestly, I kept thinking about the time my mom had to be taken to the ER for staples in her head because she fell while walking due to the radiation or tumors. Or both. I wasn't there. I didn't see it happen. But the image of my poor mama gushing blood out of the back of her head, unable to walk, has been in my head since I heard the story. And here is was happening to my baby. She was terribly brave. Everything was fine. But I've still not been able to bring myself to look at the actual injury. I'm NO good in an emergency. Especially if it involves my children. Am I the only one? Do other moms out there have the same "freak out at the sight of blood and jump to the conclusion that it's a huge ordeal" problem? I even have random thoughts of my kids missing a limb or busting open their faces. Maybe it' s just my mind trying to prepare me in case of emergency!?

On a lighter note: Yesterday after church we went shopping. I found lots of birthday and Christmas bargains, like Wall-E shirts for $3.50, a Webkinz school supply kit for $3.50 and slim shorts for the boy at $5.00 a piece. I am pretty much finished with both birthday and Christmas shopping. No doubt we'll do a little more closer to time but to have the bulk of it out of the way is a blessing and a relief!

This week will be filled with pre-Florida packing and planning. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. I agree about work on vacation.

    My personal feeling/rule is that if we have something fairly big going on during the day, we skip our schoolwork stuff. Were going to Portland this weekend and we won't do any work while we're there. I'm sure we'll still be learning though.

    For us, we've been fairly lazy about going out the past few month. Real homebodies....so this is kind of my way to encourage us to go out and do stuff.

    I feel that playdates, visits to museums, picnics, zoos, etc are more important than schoolwork. I know some people would STRONGLY disagree with me.

    I think if we changed and started going out on a regular basis--became very social, I might change things.

    But the reason I started introducing required work in the first place is I felt Jack was spending too much time playing video games. So if he's out and about and not playing video games, I'll see less need for worksheets, flashcards, required reading, etc.


    Sorry for rambling on and on so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Due to an unexpected death in my family the kids and i had our "break" last week. The funeral was in Alabama so Jeremy decided that since we were going to be halfway to the beach we may as well make the trip on down and i am so glad we did. I always have felt such peace there. Reading about you and your cousin really hit home as i saw my cousins for the first time in over 20 years at the funeral and we kept talking about what a shame it was that it took death to bring us back and only so briefly. That has weighed so heavily on my mind these past two weeks and will be blogging about the experience later. The homeschooling stuff really hits home with me too. I'm sure any homeschooling mama would say the same. If i had a penny for every time i have questioned,doubted or just felt like giving up i would be a very rich woman now. So ya'll just enjoy your time off and make the most of every moment! Have safe trip. Love,charis

    ReplyDelete
  3. When are you going to Disney? I was reading about your planning but just realized you might be there when I am... we're leaving Wednesday and doing WRFS and Sunday spending some time at the park then heading back this way. Oh and we're driving. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dina: I totally agree with you. While I may not be as relaxed about the sitting work as you are, I totally agree that trips to museums, plays, playdates, etc are way more important.

    Charis: Thanks so much for your support, as always!

    Norma: We'll just miss you guys. We arrive at Disney Property next Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Learning by living works for me. We went to a pumpkin patch this weekend.
    http://www.heartofwisdom.com/heartathome/

    I posted several free audiobooks for homeschoolers would like at
    http://www.heartofwisdom.comblog

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!