Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Tuesday Tunes

You've seen them live: oh boy! Matthew Sweet, Frank Black, the B-52s, Cyndi Lauper, U2, David Byrne, Tina Turner, NKOTB, Tiffany, Tommy Page, Bush, No Doubt, Tool, Sonic Youth, Dwight Yoakam, REM, Tori Amos, Nanci Griffith, Spice Girls, Snoop Dog, Weird Al, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Vince Gill, Howard Jones, Culture Club, Human League, Duran Duran, Stevie Nicks, I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Tell us the following:
I really miss being able to go to concerts. Music is such a huge part of my life and when I hear that Crowded House is in town or that I miss seeing Radney Foster for five bucks because I can't take my kids, I feel sad.

The best artist you've seen perform live and the worst: (from a musical standpoint)
Best is probably Tool or maybe Human League surprisingly
Worst was likely the B-52s at River Stages a few years back. That was embarassing.

The concert with the worst audience:
No doubt the last one I saw: the B-52's at Chastain Park in Atlanta. All of the old conservative Park Ticket holders wanted us to sit down and stop dancing. Some people threw ice. Some kept asking me to sit down (which is not unruly but it's a concert for crying outloud... not a movie theater) and some people even beat up the guys who were sitting next to me. I escaped unharmed luckily.

The most expensive concert and the least expensive:
That's hard to say. Most expensive was probably U2 (how much did that cost Jaime?) and least was all of the ones I didn't pay for because some boyfriend paid for the tickets.

4 comments:

  1. We're going to our 2nd concert this weekend since having kids. It's exciting but bitter sweet because, yes we'd like to take the kids too. But, it's not in the budget. We look forward to being the old foagies at the rock concerts when our boys start begging to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a concert turn out to be great when you don't expect it to (like your experience with Human League) is one of the best feelings. That's how I felt when I saw The Lovin' Spoonful a few years back.


    I always imagined that the B-52s would be a great in concert. What was it about them that made them the worst?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Say what you want about your father, he was at least kind enough to pay for the tickets to U2, which was a totally awesome experience.

    I don't remember how much tickets were, but they were pretty expensive at the time. Probably nothing to how much most tickets cost now, but still, I remember we were not willing to pay for them, and we had to watch all your friends buy theirs, while we talked about how we couldn't afford it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zip n Tizzy: I can't WAIT to start taking my little ones to see shows. Of course, I'll have to get rich first or find free ways to get in!

    Malcolm: The B-52s ARE amazing in concert. They are my very very very favorite band. I've seen then 5 times. Four of those times blew my mind. However, they played at River Stages in Downtown Nashville one time and the sound was messed up. It really wasn't their fault exactly but I was so sorry that it was the only time my husband would ever see them in concert. Now he thinks that they just simply suck.

    Jaime: Yeah, it's true that my dad whipped out the ole checkbook quite often. Very generous with money for gifts. I'll never deny that. I seem to think that the tickets were something like $80 each. I wonder if my other pals who were there would remember. Oh, remember those preppy people who got drunk and had a fight and spilled beer on my silver airwalks!? Man, those were the good ole days, huh?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!