Friday, September 12, 2008

Friday Afternoon Videos


Yay! It's that time again... for Friday Afternoon Videos. Only I'm a few hours late because I had a homeschool play date at the Discovery Center and then the Captain was asleep in the garage so I was unable to get to the 'puter until now.

Again, I had a very hard time coming up with something. And still until just this second I had about five different things to choose from and couldn't decide which way to go. But thanks to exhausted kids and NO time to myself for several days, I'm feeling agitated and in need of releasing some pent up anger and tension. So, my choice is going to help me do just that.

I discovered this song by accident a few years back. It was during the scandalous time around five years ago when the Dixie Chicks obtained a bad name for expressing their rather strong opinions about a certain president. I neither agreed or disagreed with them. But I did think that they were allowed to speak their minds since this is freakin' America. But that's not what this post is about anyway. As I was saying, I discovered this song/video when I was enjoying some of their music on youtube right after I learned that I'd be seeing them in Nashville, front row, for free.

The reason I'm picking it as my video tonight is because whenever I get angry, it's usually because I've been thinking about my dad. I guess I have been. A little. This song reminds me of him. And my mom. And their relationship. And my relationship with them. All of that twisted, unhealthy, messed up junk. This song makes me feel less alone. It makes me feel like Patty Griffin would actually understand me if we sat down and discussed my childhood.


This one's for you, Mama.


May as well throw this one in there too. Mama always said she loved this song. I never paid any attention because it was by Martina McBride and I didn't listen to her. But then Jordin Sparks sang it on "American Idol" and I ended up sobbing. Ironic that I chose to ignore my mama when it came to this particular song (and a lot of other things as well), isn't it?

I suppose I didn't do too much to try to help that baby bird mend her wings. She's flying now though. Man, I'd love to see her fly.

4 comments:

  1. I actually spent all afternoon having a Dixie Chicks fest on Youtube. They were banned from my radio after that "incident." Yes, everyone has the right to their opinions, and I also have the right to not like it and boycott them! It wasn't so much the the expressing of the opinion, but the way it was done that I have a problem with. Anyway- I miseed them and I still know all the words to every song. The girls enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Manda, I agree that they made a poor choice in the the way that they voiced their opinions. It's just that it seemed that the country's reaction, as a whole, was a bit extreme. I am a fan of many musicians with whom I don't see eye to eye politically. Glad you got to catch up with your old girl friends. I was never a huge fan but I really liked them when I met them. They seem like super down to earth real girls to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!