Friday, September 5, 2008

Friday Afternoon Video


So, Emily the Mom came up with this one and because I'm as big of a music dork as she is, I decided to steal it for my blog too.

I don't miss "Friday Night Videos" because I was never allowed to watch it. But just this week, while I forced my kids to watched tivoed espisodes of "Totally 80's" on Classic VH1", ("That guy's name is David Bowie." "Check out Annie Lennox. Isn't she awesome?" "Leave us alone mom, we're trying to be normal." GAAAHHHHH) I remembered watching VH1 in the mornings before school. I think it was in the middle of a Miami Sound Machine video when suddenly I was taken back to the living room in the house where I grew up and I was eating my breakfast on a tv tray while digging some "Soul Food to Go" by the Manhattan Transfer. Those were the days. My life literally revolved around Casey Kasem's Top 40 on Sunday mornings (if we missed church, I got to hear the whole thing) and watching hours and hours of VH1. As I got older, I was really into watching "120 Minutes" on MTV. Remember that? 2 solid hours of "alternative" music, whatever the heck that meant.

To pick only one Friday Afternoon video is difficult for me. But I'll leave you with this one, since I mentioned it earlier. It's a good one. The overcast, windy, pre-fall day calls for some really mellow "lite fm" kinda tunes anyway! You'll like it, I swear.

3 comments:

  1. awesome choice Mandy! seriously. really awesome!

    I had trouble picking just one too, but just think. now we'll have every friday! i'll hold you to it!

    did you see that sunday brunch logo at the beginning? man, I miss that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what "Friday Night Videos" is, but there was something you weren't allowed to watch??

    Friday Afternoon Videos- great idea! but I think we have very different taste in music. lol! I might have to start choosing some videos of my own when I get the hang of this....

    Linking the TV tray was a nice touch. Reminds me of the dial phone we still had when I was growing up- my friends would go to use it, stare at it for a minute, then ask how to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ems: Thank you thank you. I have been so thankful for youtube... it's linked me to so many of the wonderful little gems like this of my past! Stay tuned... many many ones to come. And yes, Sunday Brunch was the stuff!

    Manda: Believe it or not, I wasn't allowed to watch "MTV" until I was much older (12 I think). So, my mom went from super strict to super lenient (maybe the tumors had started to grow?). I was, however, allowed to watch VH1, which was milder and tamer.
    You will find that my taste in music is typically dictated by memories. Songs that I would never like today if they were new are some of my favorites because they remind me of something... usually my childhood. MOST of my good childhood memories are connected to television or music. I love this "meme"... I'll be able to show this side of myself a little bit better because of it.

    Can't wait to see your picks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!