Monday, August 18, 2008

Raising Kids Outside the Box: Gonna Wash that Milk Right Outta My Life


My favorite food used to be cheese. I went through the Vitamin D to Skim back to 2% Fat Milk journey. As a new vegetarian, I ate cheese pizza significantly more often than I ever ate a salad. Now, as an enlightened adult, I am really struggling with trying to get dairy completely out of my diet and the diet of my children. Non-pregnant, it's hard. PREGNANT? Well, it's a full-fledged battle. I don't want a glass of milk (oh, gross, ick, nasty). So, I'm over that hump. I don't want any frickin' ice cream (even though it's in the house). Why would I want dairy ice cream when I can have this? Victory is MINE! However, late at night, when the pregnancy cravings kick in (probably because I didn't eat nearly enough salad during the day. hee hee), I start thinking about pizza and lasagna. Yep, pretty much just those two dishes. Last night, I gave into temptation. I had to have some pizza or someone was going to get hurt. And I didn't want some dairy replacement cheese. I wanted the real deal. So, to Papa John's my husband went because, let's face it, whenever I suggest meat or cheese, he's going to be the first to benefit! He gets to have it too. He brought the pizza home. I ordered my old stand-by... mushrooms and onions. With light cheese. And I ate it. Three pieces to be exact. But to be honest, I didn't like it that much. It didn't taste that good. Not nearly as good as the Front Porch Cafe's meat loaf. Maybe I am over the dairy thing. Maybe it's actually meat that I'm craving. And red sauce. I'm not sure. But what I do know is that milk and dairy are seriously gross. And I pray for a day when the very thought of it makes me sick.

Some of my favorite dairy alternatives...
http://www.tastethedream.com/
http://www.sunergiasoyfoods.com/html/soy_feta.html
http://nutiva.com/index.php
http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/purely_decadent.html
http://www.galaxyfoods.com/ourbrands/usa/rice.asp
http://www.chreese.com/

But what about calcium?
Well, I have a two-fold answer to that question, and I get it a lot.
1. I believe, based upon the reading I've done, that we actually have plenty, if not too much, calcium in our diets, milk or no milk. We just don't have enough magnesium in order to correctly balance the calcium. You can read more about this idea here.
2. Plenty of vegan foods are a great source of calcium. Some of those foods include greens, rice and soy milk, almonds and almond butter.

What's so bad about dairy, you ask? About all you could possibly want to know about the evils of diary can be found here.

Feel free to ask any questions in the comments section or send it to my email: shebrakes4rainbows at gmail.com.

Next installment?
Are you still using a microwave?
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, pizza is still what gets me, even after eating vegan for 10 some odd years. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good, glad to know I'm not alone, Trina.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!