Thursday, August 14, 2008

My Trip to Harlow Salon: aka "The Hair Magician"

My hair is a pain. I mean, it gets all thick and I decided to start dying it again (big FAT mistake) and I don't like products but yet I seem to need some... maybe because of my hard water. Whatever the reason, I've just grown accustomed to despising my hair. So, I was not very optimistic when I decided to have my hair "done" by Shana at Harlow Salon on Music Row, in "the Big City" of Nashville. But I went anyway. Because what did I have to lose? A bandana and some pitiful little pony tails (see photo in last post). I set up an appointment to see Shana last week on Friday, the same day I was already going to be in Nashville for my midwife appointment. I was lucky that I it worked out for us! I don't typically have my hair cut in a fancy salon. No, I go to Supercuts. But let's just say that this work was being done "pro bono" and I'm ever so grateful. So, she washes my hair using all kinds of amazing smelling products. She listens to what I have to say about my hair and what I want/need done. Then she just does it. At no point do I have to tell her to thin it out some more. Or correct her because she's not cutting it the way that I like. No, she just automatically does it. She cuts it exactly the way I described (leave the length, thin it WAY out, choppy, funky, and easy). Then she styles it. And that is when I notice how soft my hair has suddenly become. I don't know what kinds of products this woman used on my hair but all I can say is amazing!!! My hair had not felt that smooth and soft since I was... well, probably a toddler. The verdict? Well, once we are able to afford to eat and buy prenatal vitamins comfortably, I'll be splurging occasionally on a trip to see my friend, the magician, Shana at Harlow. And, for the record, I washed and fixed my hair myself. And it still looks decent! Okay, it actually looks almost the same! So, that easy (as in so easy a total dork who doesn't even own mascara could do it) thing? She totally knew what she was doing!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

7 comments:

  1. Wow..OH my gosh. It looks so good Mandy..it's like Movie Star hair. Seriously..I have been trying to get my bangs to do that for years..and It wont work! I AM JEALOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..OH my gosh. It looks so good Mandy..it's like Movie Star hair. Seriously..I have been trying to get my bangs to do that for years..and It wont work! I AM JEALOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hair looks great! Sometimes, It feels nice to splurge and treat yourself to something out of the ordinary. Maybe I should see if she can work her magic on my hair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great Mandy! I am glad you are able to fix it because I am having a terrible time trying to get my new do looking right. I think I am going to have to go back and have her give me some styling tips! I love your hair. It is so pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen,
    You have great hair. What are you talking about?? Thank you so much. I agree that it did look like movie star hair that day. I loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great- like mine, only better. Actually it's so amazing of a 'do that I've yet to see many people that couldn't pull off the funky bob with the side part. Enjoy the salon-touch on it for as long as you can, cause once it fades, it's hard to re-create, especially if your hair dryer decides to catch fire while you're using it... ha. J/k. It's actually an easy 'do to maintain which is super important for busy moms, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have to teach my bangs to do that though! I love it!!! AND THE COLOR!! oh Darling....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!