Sunday, July 6, 2008

What a wonderful holiday weekend!

This weekend has been fantastic. Filled with family, friends, food, fireworks, and fruitful writing, what more could I have asked for?
Thursday evening we started our family time early by treating ourselves to a naughty dinner (which taught me to NOT feed my son dairy, no matter the special occasion) and then a long hike on a nature trail at our nearest park. The kids were amazing. They actually both kept up and were able to walk over 1.5 miles themselves. Only at the very end did Donut need Daddy to carry her. Our destination was the "water fountain" and when we got there, we found the lake to be really dry. But this enabled us to catch teeny tiny baby frogs. What wonderful, free entertainment! The frogs were fabulous!
Friday we ventured over to PapaCaren's house (my in-law's) and got to visit with both of the scary uncles (Donut is going through a phase where she's fearful of some men. Not all. Dad, Papa, and Jon are total exceptions.), their favorite (and only biological) aunt, and of course, the celebrities in their lives: Papa and Mama Carollyn. We enjoyed too much food, swimming, and plain ole taking it easy, something of which none of us do enough. Later that evening, we joined half of Murfreesboro for the MTSU fireworks at our church. He-Man enjoyed playing "Dunk the Preacher" and they both seemed to have fun on the "jumpy things". Our very good friends/extended family, the Norris clan... well, part of them, were there because Debbie was playing her piccolo in the local community band. The music was incredible and I was so proud of Debbie for being an Artsy Mama and gettin' her groove on after all of these years. Way to go, Deb!! He-Man had a total melt down during the music, however, because he was convinced that his turn to play the drums was "coming up next". Whew. We absolutely HAVE to get him into some sort of musical program. Clearly, this is an interest that is not going away!
The next morning I had to get up early to meet my friends for breakfast. While meeting friends is always a good thing, I'm not thrilled about the reason. Our pal Rikki had some unexpected circumstances arise in her world and therefore, suddenly, had to move to South Carolina. Plus, Thursday had been her birthday. So, we organized a little breakfast gathering in order to celebrate her special day, belatedly, and to wish her a happy journey. I know that we will keep in touch but I'm devastated at this loss. Artsy Mamas is suffering the loss of a great volunteer and I'm suffering the loss of a good friend. That's all I'm saying because I don't want to cry! It was fantastic to leisurely sit and chat with my girlfriends. I feel like we've all be so busy that we barely have time to reconnect these days. I'm so thankful for such amazing women in my life!
I have officially submitted the first installment in my blog series for the Green Living section of on Moms Talk Network. The series is likely to have 4+ installments and it's called "All Natural Products I Would Rather Not Live Without". I'm basically writing about products that I use in my home or on/in my body. No one is paying me *yet* but I feel so passionately about this topic that I don't mind! I decided to minister to others about ways in which they can improve their health and now I'm doing it! Moms Talk Network is also hosting the first Artsy Mamas Blog Party! I'm so very excited about this opportunity. We are just in the planning phase but comment or email me if you'd like to participate. Any and all moms can be involved. The party starts on July 14th! Let me know if you'd like me to get you more information!

3 comments:

  1. Wow girl busy busy! Sounds like you had a great weekend and sorry about Riki moving....losing a good friend sucks big time but you still have plenty of friends right here who love ya!!!

    Big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would do this blog party if I felt like my posts would be entertaining enough. Alas, though, I can't think of a single artsy thing to say or even do at all these days. Good luck with it all though, and 'grats on that MTN gig.

    ReplyDelete
  3. baby frogs, awesome! you rock girl!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!