Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Hip Hip Horray for TVP!!

For several years, I didn't use TVP. It was not until recently that something inside of my brain clicked and I "got" how cooking really works. So, when I was a new bride I would try creating dishes with TVP and they would simply turn out... barely edible. A few weeks ago I decided to pick some up at the store when I was craving tacos and the Morningstar Farms Veggie Crumbles were just tooooo expensive. Since then, I've learned that the trick to creating a successful dish with TVP is using broth instead of water to rehydrate the pieces. The TVP takes on the taste of the broth and whatever seasoning you add to it. But without the broth, you run the risk of it being very bland and boring. I also have learned that it's cheaper to buy the organic blue taco shells and a packet of organic taco seasoning separately instead of purchasing the taco making kit. Last night I had another successful experience with vegan tacos that were not only cheap but quite delicious. I encourage everyone to pick up a bag of TVP and experiment. It's nutritious, delicious, and most of all, affordable!

4 comments:

  1. Hrm. Interesting.

    And btw, apparently we have the same dishes. heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blue willow were my Mama's. She gave them to me years ago. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hm. i didn't know you were a vegetarian.

    i am an evil hunting meat-eater. love me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm not a vegetarian actually. i just play one on tv.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!