Sunday, March 30, 2008

Chocolate treats are our friend.

My family is a big fan of trying to go mostly raw and then failing miserably. I do a better job than my husband and my kids are about fifty percent raw most of the time and that is an ideal percentage for kids anyway. However, despite my addiction to the crock pot and the oven, I continue to strive for perfection. One way in which I'm reaching for that elusive state of raw nirvana is by experimenting with recipes. Especially naughty dessert ones. Yesterday the whole family hauled ourselves to PapaCaren's house (my in-laws have a compound word nickname dubbed by He-Man) to learn how to make the special Easter eggs that my mother-in-law has traditionally made every year for a very long time. I love traditions and I love experimenting so I wanted to figure out how to change the recipe to fit our over-the-top healthier standards.


So, we made Vegan Easter Eggs in Silicone molds. This is how:
Melted vegan semi sweet chocolate chips with Earth Balance vegan butter and painted the mixture inside of the egg molds. Then stuck it into the freezer.
Created the filling using:
organic powdered sugar, raw almond butter, Earth Balance, and Tofutti cream cheese. We divided that mixture in half and used all natural food coloring to create a yellow batch and a red batch (which was actually more like lavendar). After the chocolate was hard, we put the mixture inside of the eggs and then covered it with more melted chocolate and vegan butter.


This is what it looked like.


And the finished Easter Egg!

All natural, vegan, peanut free, and delicious!!

Next I made something that I've been wanting to try for quite some time but never got around to. I made raw almond butter cups! I have these awesome silicone baking cups and you can put anthing in those suckers! So, I decided to try my hand at this idea I'd had and the silicone cups were ideal for them! So, we made our raw fudge by mixing melted coconut oil, raw cacao powder and raw sugar and spreading it into the bottoms of the cups. And-you got it-stuck them into the freezer. I mixed up some raw almond butter, some vegan butter (can be eliminated to make it 100% raw), some raw agave nectar, and a little raw sugar. I spread the mixture into the cups and then topped them with more fudge. I then froze them.

In the cups.

A profile.
And how do they taste? Well, I took a couple to my girl Amanda last night. She texted me earlier just to tell me how amazing they were!

So, there you have it. If you are interested in eating raw fudge or raw chocolate drinks at your house, here are some links to products that you might need:
http://www.rawcacao.com/
http://www.madhavahoney.com/agave.htm
http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=172832&prrfnbr=198786
http://www.ihealthtree.com/coconut-oil.html


2 comments:

Thank you for reading my blog and for commenting! Please make sure to leave your name and an email address so that I can respond to your comments! I hope you have a blessed day!